T-111 Rotten

Old 05-08-12, 04:43 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T-111 Rotten

My 10' x 12' shed has T-111 and the bottom of it is rotten in spots. I was going to cut out the bad then splice in a new piece, where needed. I wanted opinions on whether to reside with Smart Siding or go to vinyl. Does splicing a new piece on the bottom sound ok? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Splicing is usually a bad idea. IMO, LP Smartside is probably a better option for you than vinyl.

Old 05-09-12, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Although, as XSleeper mentioned, splicing is a bad idea, depending on the height of the rot, you may be able to replace the damaged T1-11, caulking it well as you assemble the joint, THEN apply a trim board which is taller than the seam all around the shed, caulking on the top joint to prevent water infiltration. Now, if you are planning on residing anyway, go with the Smartside. Just seems to look better.

Old 05-09-12, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
If you stick with the T-111, oil prime the bottom edge and a few inches up the back side. That will help prevent the wood from wicking up any moisture - which is the likely cause of the damage in the first place.

Old 05-12-12, 05:06 PM
F
Yes, I was going to splice in a piece THEN reside with Smart Siding. The trim piece around the bottom maybe worth consideration. Thanks for the idea. I've learned the hard way. I won't install any wood siding without oil primer being applied to the bottom end and six inches or so up. I built this shed twenty years ago before I knew better. Thanks.

Old 05-12-12, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Oh, well if you are going to install new siding OVER the old, then it really doesn't matter if you have a splice or not... in fact you could install anything in place of the rotton t1-11 as long as it is the same thickness (i.e. plywood).

PVC trim boards (Azek and Versatex are name brands) are really good for use as water table trim, since they will never rot. They are good to use when the siding is really too close to grade.

Old 05-15-12, 03:59 PM
F
Another Question

Thanks for the help. I have to replace 50 ft. of fascia board and I thought I'd ask what's the best way to ensure I keep it straight. I was think of removing all the old except the last 2-4 ft. install the first new board making sure it's level then runing a string along the bottom edge to ensure I keep the new boards straight. What ya think? Thanks.

Old 05-15-12, 04:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
I would think keeping the top even with the edge of the roof would insure a straight fascia. The roof is straight, right?

Old 05-17-12, 03:24 PM
F
Pretty much but it's only "3/8 plywood so it has some sag, in spots, but of course not at the rafter tail which would be what counts. Thanks.

Old 06-13-12, 05:21 PM
F
I have T-111 with the framing at 24" centers. After I replace the rotten T-111, do you think the "3/8 thick smart siding will do ok when nailing on "24 centers? Thanks.