Creating crawlspace

Old 05-21-12, 08:36 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Creating crawlspace

I have a small house I recently aquired that is built above ground on posts. I would like to make a crawlspace (or crawlspace like space) underneath. What would be the best way to do that? I thought about just doing siding of some sort to the ground but that seems like it would lead to a rot problem fairly quickly.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-12, 08:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What is your end goal for the space?

Old 05-21-12, 09:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I would like to make a crawlspace (or crawlspace like space) underneath
Not sure I i understand
Is the crawlspace already there but you want to underpin the perimeter?

Old 05-21-12, 09:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I inferred the house was elevated off the ground on the posts.

Old 05-21-12, 12:31 PM
L
Yes the house is elevated on the posts. Instead of having the space open, as it is now, and exposed to the elements especially cold air I want to close it off and essentially make it a house with a crawl space.

Old 05-21-12, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
How 'bout taking a few pix and let us see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-22-12, 03:03 PM
S
a picture would help. I'm thinking frame it out with 2x4 lumber and attach siding.

Old 06-18-12, 09:03 AM
L
Sorry for the long wait but this house isn't exactly close. Here is a pic of what the house looks like, DSCN0230.jpg picture by lilraesdad - Photobucket I want to close this in but I would assume framing right down to the earth is a bad idea. I'm open to suggestions.

Old 06-18-12, 11:04 AM
What do you think about putting cedar fence around it? You can buy the dog eared pickets separate and use treated for ground contact 2x4 to mount them onto. Run the 2x4 at top and bottom of opening then mount the pickets to them. If you wished you could add a couple 2x4 vertical at the higher opening and build doors out of the pickets so you could use the area as storage and also have a easy way under the house if need be.

Old 06-18-12, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Vertical earthtoned vented soffiting like used on mobile homes would give needed ventilation, while keeping out vermin, and would look better than wood-to-earth.

Old 06-20-12, 02:29 PM
S
assuming freeze-thaw is not a big issue; what about building a precast concrete retaining wall at the lower section. The wall could be about 2'-0" high at the high side (right of the photo) and 3-4' high at the low side. Then build a 2x4 framed wall with sheathing and siding of your choice down to the top of the wall. You could actually hang the partition from the floor above and then stop just short of the top of the wall with the 2x4 framing and extend the siding down slightly to cover up the gab and give it a finished look. I would still leave a doorway or access point into the space somewhere. Not sure if that is what you are looking for but it is an idea.

Last edited by spiper; 06-20-12 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo