Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How Can I Add Some Personalization to the Front of the Exterior of my Ranch Home

How Can I Add Some Personalization to the Front of the Exterior of my Ranch Home

Old 06-16-12, 07:52 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi. I would like your advice. I have unusually shaped exterior windows on my ranch home. The windows run more horizontal than vertical. I want to give some personality to the front of the house. I cant use shutters, because the windows are not designed for shutters. I thought about installing a piece of wood, about 6 inches high, for the length of the windows, the door, the garage door. I thought these pieces would be black, but I am open to other suggestions. The siding on the is wood, how would I attach the black top pieces to the house- liquid nails?

I have attached photos to the thread so you can better what i am working with.

I also thought about installing garden boxes under the windows. Do you know where I can get custom sized window boxes? I am concerned about whether I will have the discipline to care for the plant boxes. And I am not sure if artificial plants in the window boxes would look nice?

Can you comment on my ideas to make the house more personalized. And can you think of any other ideas that would personalize this ranch home.

For your convenience I attached some photos so you could see how the house currently looks. Thank you for your insight.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-12, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
The rule of thumb now-a-days is to have 3 colors on your house. It appears you already have two types of siding on the house, maybe paint one a complementary color? Perhaps a deep red or wine color? It will make the siding less monotone.

Old 06-16-12, 10:49 AM
U
Hello Mr. Iron Hand:

Thank you for the suggestion. When you say that the house already has two types of siding, you mean that the bottom 3/4 of the house has wood shingles and the top 1/4 is just flat? I think another color on that upper 1/4 might look nice. The other sides of the house are without the 1/4 3/4 split, so you think I should leave them all tan as they are now?

Old 06-16-12, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
Yes to all the above. I have seen many houses that only have to front dressed up and it looks good. You also look like there is another siding type around the garage door. May you could paint it the new color as well.

Old 06-18-12, 07:01 AM
S
I agree with the second color of paint idea. If you add a color and you don't like the result the fix is still fairly cheap and easy. Another thing that I think adds a great deal of personality to a ranch style home is to add a front porch with a roof that projects out from the house about 8'-10'. I would start it just to the right of the address plaque and just to the left of the larger window. A couple of turned posts at each corner and some railing and you no longer have a trailer home type straigth shot across the front of the house. This assumes a bunch of things of course: no building line issues, landscaping changes ($$$), roof tie-in, possible loss of sunlight under the porch roof and cost. It is a big investment if it adds nothing more than curb appeal. We added a porch to our ranch but we also spend alot of time sitting on the new porch so we get use out of it as well. As much as we like our porch, I would still try the paint first.