Bottom edge of vinyl siding.

Old 06-23-12, 07:24 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bottom edge of vinyl siding.

We are putting vinyl siding on our walkout rambler. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to finish the bottom edge of the vinyl on the walkout side. The foundation is painted and from down below you can see the bottom edge of the vinyl siding. So you see the original wood, the house wrap, the starter strip and the siding.

Even though the starter strip is supposed to match the siding, the bottom edge is a different color. Is my best option just to paint it so it all matches, or does someone have a better idea? Is there any kind of finish strip I could use?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
You could have capped the bottom edge of the old siding with some aluminum trim coil that is the same color as the siding- this would have best been done before the starter strip was applied. And you could have used metal starter strip instead of vinyl starter strip. The metal starter strip doesn't have the little flange that still shows after you hook the first row of siding. You also could have used 4" metal starter strip so that the siding would hang down much lower than your housewrap and original wood, so that it would be concealed more.

Old 06-23-12, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
How about some J channel on the bottom?

Old 06-23-12, 05:28 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Too bad I didn't know about the metal strip before we started. Unfortunately, we couldn't drop the siding down any lower because we had to clear a door. I appreciate the suggestions. Sounds like wrapping it before the starter strip would have been the way to go.

I don't see any way to use j channel.