Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Adding more soffit ventilation - vinyl soffit currently installed ?

Old 07-03-12, 05:59 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to cut in more soffit vents at my house to improve the attic intake ventilation . The house currently has a hidden vent vinyl soffit material ( eg -http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/products/hidden-vent-soffit.aspx ) covering the existing plywood soffit (inadequate number of holes/area ). I want to cut in some more soffit vents but want it to look decent without turning it into major project ( removing vinyl soffit, assocated vinyl and sheet metal work, gutters etc) .. BTW, the soffits are at the 2 and 3 story level of course. Advice is appreciated .

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-12, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I want to cut in more soffit vents at my house to improve the attic intake ventilation
If your house has a Hidden Vent Soffit, or something similar, why do you want to replace or significantly modify it to create a larger intake area? What does your overall attic ventilation system look like now? Is your current soffit intake creating a bottleneck?

The better we can understand your goal, the more options we can envision. And the better we can see what you're looking at, the more effectively we can help you. See How To Include Pictures In Your Post.

Old 07-03-12, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I don't want this to turn into a long reply, so I will try to keep this short.

You don't want it to turn into a major project, but maybe you don't realize how soffit venting works. We don't know how your house is constructed, whether it is new/old, what is above your existing vinyl soffit, and whether or not there are any holes above the existing soffit that would allow access to the rafter bays. Attics are full of insulation, and the space where ventilation occurs is between the top plate of your wall and the roof sheathing. We have no way of knowing whether that area is packed full of insulation (blocked) or not. When houses are built new, nowadays, most of the rafter bays are usually blocked off with insulation, while only a measured few are left for ventilation. In Georgia it might be different, maybe they are all open- the point is, we don't know unless you provide us with more information.

Increasing soffit ventilation is more than just drilling holes in the soffit. You also haven't provided us with any information to prove that it is even necessary... such as sq footage of attic and sq ft of existing intake/exhaust... or what type of exhaust you have- ridge vent or mushroom/can vents?