How to attach brackets: unusual siding situation

Old 07-05-12, 02:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to attach brackets: unusual siding situation

What’s the best way to attach brackets on my house exterior, so I can install a Coolaroo sun shade on a picture window. This shade is on a roller for manual up and down with a pull chain. I think I need to attach mounting blocks to house cladding (not to the vinyl window trim). I’ve tried to learn about project options but I don’t have experience to connect the dots. My friend has ladders and tools but not much experience with finish work on houses. Photos of my window and the window shade are below.

My house has two layers of siding: the original asbestos shingles, which later was covered over with vinyl siding. I’ve seen ready-made “surface mounting blocks” for use on vinyl siding, which I could buy online. Instead of mounting blocks that require drilling into the wall, I’d love it if there is some kind of slide-on and snap-on mounting block device that works for lapped vinyl siding, which I could then use for screwing on a bracket to hold each end of the shade. The shade assembly weighs 12 pounds total, so each surface mounting device would need to support only six pounds.

If there’s no miracle slide-on device like that, what’s the best way to find the location of wood on each side of the window so I can attach screw-in mounting blocks? Would it work to use a stud finder from inside the house to find the wood framing around the window?

Or is the location of the wood framing a GIVEN, considering my window type and the way carpenters build windows? For example, could I just measure three inches away from the window trim and then drill the holes for the screws there? My house was built in 1960.

=Any advice about the project, drilling the two layers of siding, drill bits, types of fasteners? I don’t want to dent the vinyl siding or prevent it from expanding or contracting when the temperature changes. Many thanks. Photos of my window and the window shade:
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/...t-window-A.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/...-northside.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p515/lobelia7/coolaroo-roller-shade.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-12, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I just installed these on a client's deck a few weeks ago. How wide is your window frame versus the width between the bracket outer edges? My client's problem was his posts were exactly 8' center to center, while the shade was 8' long PLUS the brackets. Made for a long day.
I would rather drill them through your window framing if size would permit than to put holes in the siding and take a chance of crushing it. There is framing behind your trim molding, so that won't be a problem. Use screws long enough to reach it and pre drill your holes.

Old 07-05-12, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Yeah, in order to give good advice i think we need to know the length of the shade and the distance between the j-channels on each side of the window trim.

Old 07-07-12, 05:25 AM
B
I'll have to hunt down the dimenstions of the bracket and then I'll answer here. Thanks.

Old 07-09-12, 04:41 PM
B
Window measurements

I finally got the window measurements and I've noted them on the photo in the link below. I discovered that the stock window shade (120 inches wide) will be too wide to attach on my window trim, but they can do custom sizes; it just takes them a little more time.

I found that the window trim on each side of the window is Aluminum -- not vinyl (although the other window parts and my house siding are all vinyl). I'd appreciate any advice about how to attach the window-shade brackets to the window trim without damaging the trim. Also is it most likely that there is wood behind the aluminum? Thanks!

Front window -- attaching roller shade pictures by lobelia7 - Photobucket

Old 07-09-12, 05:11 PM
B
CORRECTION: The window trim is Vinyl. (My friend said aluminum but it was 103 degrees that day and we were standing in full sun). But I just checked the trim up close and it's definitely vinyl. When I press on the vertical trim with my hand, the whole piece moves slightly. Also when I knock on it like knocking on a door, it sounds a little hollow. The trim has a finish that looks vaguely like wood grain. It seems a little more rigid in nature than the lapped vinyl siding.

Old 07-09-12, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The only damage you will put on the trim will be the two holes to hold the bracket. You will have two holes no matter where you put it, but I would definitely NOT put it on the siding. Siding must move with the weather, and the pieces are so much larger than the trim. Wait for other comments, but I would order a shade with the outer measurements INCLUDING the bracket the same size as the measurement of the trim across the window excluding the j channel. Predrill your holes and use longer screws so they will hit wood behind the trim.

Old 07-09-12, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
I think the 120" awning is the perfect width. I'd probably do this...

Take down the top piece of siding, and install a short piece of Azek (a solid PVC 1x4 or 1x6, etc) to the house with construction adhesive and at least four 2 1/2" long composite trim screws. The block will fit between your existing corner post and your existing j-channel, and should be as thick or thicker than the j-channel. (depending on thickness of the j-channel... so use either 3/4" thick or 5/4" thick PVC, or two layers of 3/4"... whatever it takes) Then install a j-channel underneath that, and cut your vinyl siding shorter so that it will fit underneath this block, and put it back up.

This will give you a solid surface to mount the (stock size) awning to, and it will be outside the window trim.

Old 07-10-12, 07:40 AM
B
Thanks everyone for the guidance. Understanding the details for me is like learning a new language and you guys have helped a lot. Since I don't have an easy source for vinyl siding supplies/parts, I'll go for attaching the brackets to the window trim.
One more question? I found an illustration of how a window is framed. It appears to be framing of a picture window, as mine is. See photo. It looks like each side of the window opening (below the header) has two pieces of vertical wood together. So I'm guessing I should place the bracket screws a little off from the center of these two pieces of wood so that I'll avoid the seam between the two pieces of wood, correct? Or will the screw take hold whether I put it in the center of the two boards or not? The total weight of the window shade plus the bracket at each end is 11 lbs.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/...ng-diagram.gif

Old 07-10-12, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Since I don't have an easy source for vinyl siding supplies/parts, I'll go for attaching the brackets to the window trim.
Try Lowes or HD.

Old 07-13-12, 11:42 AM
B
I thought you were saying to take off vinyl siding, so I assumed it would require putting the siding back on. If I damaged it, it would be hard to find a match to the old, faded color and it is located on the front of the house. Having many steps involved in a project for this nervous novice has sometimes multiplied the errors, and this project is on the front of the house. Tools, materials, and supplies ...so many things to buy and learn to use. I appreciate all the tips though.