Should I enclose bottom of shed?

Old 07-07-12, 03:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I enclose bottom of shed?

I had a wood shed built on blocks over asphalt. It is 10 in off the ground. Several years later I had the driveway refinished to channel water. The asphalt was raised 3 inches, even with the top step into the shed. To keep critters from camping out under the shed, I recently had it enclosed with marine grade ply. The walls are cedar paneling sheets. I took off one of the ply panels looking for a leak. Water is getting under the shed where the asphalt meets the paneling. My questions are 1. should I enclose the shed or leave it open? 2. How can I seal between the asphalt and the shed. The asphalt is rough and in places there is a 1/8 inch gap between ply and asphalt. I live in the pacific northwest and it is very rainy and lots of raccoons. And, i may not even be asking the right questions. Thanks

Attached Images    

Last edited by brady2255; 07-07-12 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-12, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
Welcome to the forums Brady!

You need to either promote good air circulation under the shed or seal it off completely where no moisture can get under it. A pic or two might help us better understand what you're dealing with.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-07-12, 05:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
I think you are on the right track in one of your photos with the hardware cloth. You will have a difficult time sealing to keep it completely dry underneath so I'd opt for good ventilation. I would consider removing the marine ply skirting and replace it with hardware cloth all the way around to prove the most ventilation possible while still keeping critters out.

Old 07-07-12, 08:56 PM
B
Hi marksr... i posted photo on my original post.

Old 07-08-12, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Pilot Dane's advice sounds good to me

Old 07-08-12, 11:16 AM
B
How about this solution

There is no way I can keep out all the moisture. Here's what I'm thinking - I would like to keep two ends with plywood - at least the front. I will remove the ply on the sides. My question now is - how do i make it look good on the side that is the entry to the back yard - see photo. Is there something that would look better than hardware cloth? Thanks for your help.

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-12, 01:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the whole thing needs to be left open to promote good air flow. The more air that flows thru, the quicker it dry the moisture when it gets wet. The hardware cloth could be optional but it does stop leaves and such from gathering under the shed.