Housewrap on gable ends


Old 07-12-12, 07:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 38
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Housewrap on gable ends

Am residing my house with vinyl siding. Inspector says I do not need housewrap on the gable ends becuase it is uninsulated, unheated area.

Even though it is not required, is it a good idea to do it anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-12, 08:15 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,844
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
Almost every type of siding requires a WRB (water resistive barrier) on the sheathing, according to most building codes. And when the code doesn't specify it, the siding mfg's have some say, if you'd like to have any warranty.

However, vinyl siding, by code, requires housewrap behind it. Unless he has found some loophole. In either case, it does not make sense to omit it. Since you are in MN, this reference might be informative.... particularly, this quote:

"House Wrap: Beginning 3/31/03 the MN State Building Code required that a weather-resistive sheathing paper be installed under the siding. This provision applies to walls of heated and unheated spaces, and includes the gable ends adjacent to attic spaces."

Your inspector is only 9 yrs behind the times. Ask him what code is is going by? 2001 IRC?
Old 07-13-12, 03:14 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 38
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Didn't make sense to me, but you would think the inspector would know what he is doing.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: