Housewrap on gable ends

Old 07-12-12, 07:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Housewrap on gable ends

Am residing my house with vinyl siding. Inspector says I do not need housewrap on the gable ends becuase it is uninsulated, unheated area.

Even though it is not required, is it a good idea to do it anyway?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-12, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
Almost every type of siding requires a WRB (water resistive barrier) on the sheathing, according to most building codes. And when the code doesn't specify it, the siding mfg's have some say, if you'd like to have any warranty.

However, vinyl siding, by code, requires housewrap behind it. Unless he has found some loophole. In either case, it does not make sense to omit it. Since you are in MN, this reference might be informative.... particularly, this quote:

"House Wrap: Beginning 3/31/03 the MN State Building Code required that a weather-resistive sheathing paper be installed under the siding. This provision applies to walls of heated and unheated spaces, and includes the gable ends adjacent to attic spaces."

Your inspector is only 9 yrs behind the times. Ask him what code is is going by? 2001 IRC?

Old 07-13-12, 03:14 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Didn't make sense to me, but you would think the inspector would know what he is doing.