Cutting the edge off vinyl j channel

Old 07-14-12, 08:00 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting the edge off vinyl j channel

The gable end of my house sticks out about 1 1/2" from the siding below. I need to cover that edge. Is there any reason I can't cut the lip off j channel and install it backwards so it covers that edge? Then I would nail my starter strip on top of that. Any problems with that?

Old 07-14-12, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You could, if you can get it to lay flat enough. Run a bead of silicone caulk on the house before you nail it on, and it will never get wavy on you. J-channels come in various thicknesses, so if a 3/4" j-channel isn't wide enough you might be able to buy something wider... 1 1/4", 1 5/8", 2", etc.

Old 07-14-12, 12:17 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thats ok to do? I thought you weren't supposed to use caulk with vinyl. Is it because I won't be attaching the siding to this j channel? I have the wider j channel and it seems like it will fit pretty well.

But the caulk sounds like a good idea

Old 07-14-12, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Silicone stretches 400%, so you have nothing to worry about. You don't pin siding tight to the wall but j-channels usually get nailed tight. The only reason I mentioned silicone as an option would be if it doesn't want to lay flat and straight. Normally you would bend aluminum trim coil with a metal break to cover an area like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: