Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice with hardboard/masonite siding repair

Old 07-22-12, 08:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I recently purchase a house and the inspector pointed out an issue to me with the hardboard siding. The siding is about 18" from the ground and is beginning to rot at the bottom. The inspector said the cause was rain water wicking up the bottom side of the siding.

Is this something that I could repair myself without replacing the panels? The inspector seemed to think that I could take a 2x6 and bevel the top edge at an angle, then mount it along the bottom of the siding. Has anyone ever heard of trying this?

Any advice is appreciated,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-12, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Although pictures sure would help us to see what you see, quite often if the siding is in panels, the lower few inches can be trimmed off and trim boards installed, with or without bevel, flashed with z bar and sealed to prevent further damage. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-22-12, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 635 Votes on 587 Posts
Yes, you might go to google images and search for "water table trim" so that you can get a visual on what it would look like and how you might do it. Not exactly as easy as putting up a 2x6 (using a high quality trim board would give you better results) but it can certainly be done.