Advice wanted on ACQ deck.

Old 07-23-12, 06:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice wanted on ACQ deck.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I live in Hong Kong as an expat and I am considering decking up an area in my back yard - it is about 600 square feet.

I'm thinking about doing it myself as well as having a garden contractor do it as well. The options here are relatively limited and they will rob you if you let them.

I have been quoted 25 USD/sq foot for materials and labor and am struggling with that figure.

The use an ACQ wood made by a company called UPM from Finland and they guarantee it for 5 years (and stainless fasteners -""Direct inject by #304 stainless steel screw") - not sure what that means.

Products

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about what a high quality ACQ treated softwood (looks like Pine) should cost per square foot?

I really have no frame of reference about what these things should cost. The board sizes they are using are [SIZE=3]95mmW x 21mmT x 2000mm 6000mmL.

I was wondering if at that price (about 15k USD) for a 600 square foot deck (installed) is particularly absurd or just very bad (or I guess, reasonable?)

If you could give me some advice I'd appreciate it (more the better).

Thanks for your time.

Jack

[/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jack!

It's always best to get multiple quotes when having a job done that way you can see if the price is inline. You also want to check references!

PT pine is a decent alternative to the higher priced composite deck materials. The PT will have more maintenance than the composite.

Old 07-24-12, 05:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
No way I can address all the variables affecting cost in Hong Kong and likely no one else on this site can, either. As Mark said, best practice is to get three or more bids on the job so you can compare.