Deck Stain or Something Else on Milled Pine Siding??

Old 07-24-12, 04:31 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Stain or Something Else on Milled Pine Siding??

These questions pertain to a summer cabin on a lake in northern Wisconsin. The cabin has milled wood siding with a convex shape that creates a log cabin effect. I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure the wood is pine and dates from the 1930's--no finger-jointed young southern pine here. The cabin receives a good deal of shade from the trees that surround it.

The existing finish is being removed with a heat gun and a hand scraper. The siding is then sanded. The best part is that my sister is doing all this work

After reading a report titled Selection and Application of Exterior Stains for Wood published by the Forest Service's Forest Products Laboratory I am planning on using a semi-transparent oil-based penetrating stain on the prepped siding. Is there something else I should be using? Since Wisconsin is not a low volatile organic solvent state I'm not restricted in the products I can use. Based on the reviews on the website Best Deck Stain Reviews Ratings | Wood Deck Restoration Help Advice Tips I'm leaning towards a product called TWP 100 stain. Has anyone on this forum used this product? Is there any reason I shouldn't use this? Considering the limited sun the cabin receives and the vertical orientation of the wood how many years can I expect to get out of this type of stain? Longevity is very important to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I've not used that particular stain - I don't think it's available in my area.
When applying a stain [any brand] if you spray it on - you need to back brush it to work it into the wood! If you just spray the coating on it will basically lay on top of the wood and not last as long

The lack of sun exposure will help the stain maintain it's color longer but the shade can promote mildew. Has the existing finish had any mildew to speak of? if so, buy some extra mildewcide. The paint store where you buy the stain should have it, let them add it and they can mix it in when they shake the can - that way you won't have to stir it in