Shed walls rotting from water exposure

Old 07-24-12, 01:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed walls rotting from water exposure

I'm trying to work on a large shed that has rotted wood at the bottom of the walls. It's a large shed with a barn style roof. It's sitting in an asphalt parking lot. It seems they have had this problem before because the bottom 2 feet of the walls have been cut out and replaced. A drip edge has been installed at the top of the newly installed section. I suppose this does its job to keep water out of the seem between the new and old wood.

Actually there are 2 sheds there, 1 medium and 1 large, both with the same problem.

It seems to me what might be happening is water is running off the roof, splattering on to the asphalt, and getting the bottom of the boards wet. I could replace this section of wood again, but I'm looking to recommend something more permanent. I'm thinking of something like going with all metal somehow at the bottom (replacing all the bottom wood section below the drip edge with some sort of metal sheathing, painted the same redwood color as the shed.) Or else some sort of vinyl solution? Ideas for specific product? The wood sheathing is shaped like vertical slats (I assume 8x4 sheets routed out to look like wood siding places vertically). Something to match that would be perfect, but it's not necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
There are many kinds of metal siding, one of them might be best. Dura-panel or pro-rib panel. Colors of your choice.

Old 07-24-12, 01:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
So there's wood in contact with the asphalt?

Old 07-24-12, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Bare minimum would be to prime/paint the bottom edge and a few inches up the backside of the siding. Metal or vinyl would be better.

Old 07-24-12, 04:48 PM
J
No, word is not in contact with asphalt. Well, the base is, which I assume is pressure treated. I'm only working on the side walls, which is a couple inches off the asphalt.

Old 07-30-12, 07:46 AM
S
Iagree that the metal at the base is a good idea and I would not try to match the color of the siding because even if you get a perfect match they will fade differently over time. I would use a similar but darker color to give a tone on tone type of look to the shed.

The other idea you could consider is gutters and downspouts. I believe you are correct that the water splashing off of the asphalt is causing the problem and if this is the case the gutters could eliminate this problem.