What are my trim options with vinyl siding?

Old 09-05-12, 10:48 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What are my trim options with vinyl siding?

I'm planning to side my cottage with Novik vinyl siding (NoviShake on gables over NoviPlank on walls). I know I'd never heard of the brand but it's the most realistic-looking stuff I have found. IMO nothing says "plastic siding" like a job where everything is surrounded with J-trim so I'm looking for other ideas. Has anyone done anything "out of the box" when trimming a siding job to get a better appearance than the typical vinyl J-trim or aluminum?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-12, 08:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could use dimensional cedar and cut a rabbet into the cedar to accept the siding. Cedar resists rotting and insects. Just a thought.

Old 09-06-12, 08:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If you find 'plastic' so objectionable, have you thought about a different product entirely like fiber cement?

Old 09-06-12, 09:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Seems like I've worked on houses where they bent aluminum to cover the corners and widen the window trim.

Old 09-06-12, 10:22 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have vinyl siding & windows on my home so I don't find vinyl siding "objectionable" per se but this is going on a log home so I want a traditional look. This cottage was sided with aluminum about 20 years ago. That siding is in poor shape and needs to be replaced. The logs are in sad shape underneath and would cost a small fortune to restore. The shimmed plywood now covering them is in good enough condition to re-cover with new siding. I want a "no maintenance" exterior on this occasional-use cottage so vinyl would seem a good choice for this lakefront home.

I did consider HardiePlank but for the same money this particular siding is more real looking and, at least in the opinion of a couple installers I've asked, more proven. I know that could be debated but fiber cement hasn't been around long in Michigan and vinyl has.

What surprises me is the lack of choices I've been able to find on trimming the siding. I ran into this 15 years ago when I had my house sided and didn't want the plain, thin, J-trim around the windows. The installer had no ideas. I built some frames from 1/2" x 3" painted pine & attached the white J-trim to the edge of that so I could have the wide borders around my windows similar to what's common on historic homes. That gave me the look I wanted, but it does mean I need to paint that trim every few years to maintain it. I would have thought there would be lots of other options by now.