Replacing rotted wood trim around garage door

Old 09-09-12, 02:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing rotted wood trim around garage door

I have a newer house with vinyl siding, but there is decorative wood trim around the garage door which is rotting in places. I am cutting away sections where it is rotted in the hope I'll replace it with similarly-sized and cut wood, fill with caulk or something similar, sand and paint.

The problem I am having is the trim above the door, which has an aluminum splash guard that I cannot figure out how to remove. With this in place instead of removing a complete section of the board I'd have to make a horizontal cut, then fit and fill on three sides instead of two, and I am not sure this is a good idea.

Anyone know if this trim is easy to remove so that I can cut all the way to the top?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-12, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
First, I'd suggest that you give up on the idea of replacing small sections and instead replace the entire length. The trim you currently have looks like finger jointed pine or cedar. Your best bet would be to take a skilsaw and rip that piece lengthwise near the top, being careful not to cut too deep or too close to the ends. Once you cut it in half, you will be able to pry the lower half out, and the upper portion that is underneath the flashing will probably just fall out. You can then replace the entire piece and you won't have any joints to putty, caulk or bondo. It doesn't make sense to go to all that work to replace "part" of it when replacing all of it is likely less work and will last longer.