Wood siding nails popping and seam warping

Old 09-13-12, 03:58 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood siding nails popping and seam warping

Hi. Our house is 14 years old. It has cedar siding. For a while now, we have siding nails popping out. My husband would climb the ladder and hammer the nails back in. Last week, he noticed a lot of popped nails on one side of the house. There is also some warping of the siding. When he hammered in some of the nails, he said it sounded hollow. He is concerned that the nails were not nailed to the studs. Is there a way to find out if that is the case?

Also, for the seams where two pieces of sidings joined (siding not long enough), should there be some sort of seam sealant?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-12, 04:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
What type of paint/stain finish is on the cedar? The type of coating on the wood can dictate whether or not the gaps should be caulked.

Sometimes just hammering the nail back in isn't enough. It might need a longer nail or another nail next to it. More than likely the wall studs are on 16" centers. That should help to determine if there is a stud behind the nail/siding. I don't know if a stud finder will work thru siding or not. I'm a painter but the carpenters should be along shortly

Old 09-15-12, 05:55 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cedar siding has wood stain on it. That side do get sun in the late morning and afternoon. I don't know if that affects it.

Old 09-15-12, 06:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
If the wood soaks of moisture and then dries out that [and lack of good nails] can cause the warping. It's possible that the stain is past it's prime and needs another coat. While there are exceptions, the joints in the siding don't usually get any type of caulking or sealant when the finish is a stain.