Cedar siding, caulk and is it stained?

Old 09-17-12, 02:44 PM
T
Received 71 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Cedar siding, caulk and is it stained?

1989 home in upstate NY. New house to me. An adjacent thread talked about stain vs paint and caulk vs non-caulked seams. My seams are not caulked and the windows/doors/other wood intersection have cracked/bad caulk.

Here are my questions:
Let's verify the finish is paint, not stain. There are some areas with some cracking, peeling finish. And I see some old drips around. So, it's paint, right? Stain should be extremely thin and really doesn't peel, correct?
I'm in the process of recaulking at all the penetrations. Not fast work, since a heat gun, 5 in1, and a razor knife all seem necessary here.

THe nails seem to be holding OK, no rot, but this same stuff on my FL home would be gone to rot or bugs in 22 years
Do I need to caulk the joints? That would not appear to be durable, having to fill a tiny butt joint with caulk.

Once painted, its paint now forever, correct?

Old 09-17-12, 03:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
There are 3 basic types of siding stain; a toner or translucent stain, semi-transparent and solid. A solid stain looks like a thin coat of paint. Without being there it's hard to say for sure whether it's paint or solid stain. How much of the grain shows? Primer/paint tend to fill in the grain while solid stain allows more of the grain to show. Normally a solid stain will wear off rather than peel but if it was applied incorrectly.... it is possible for it to peel. Remember I've not seen the house but painted fascia, windows, etc. can be a reason for paint drips on stained siding..... not that it's a good excuse for drips

I would probably caulk the joints [use no more than needed to fill the gap] BUT I've never painted in New York. I'd suggest talking to one of the reps at your local paint store [not paint dept] as they should be able to advise you as to what works best in that region.

If it is painted, you are pretty much stuck with paint. You could use a solid stain over paint but I wouldn't recommend it unless cleaning and scraping has removed 90% of the paint.

I used to live/paint in fla and understand how hard that environment is on exterior wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: