Reddish Brown Vinyl Siding Stains

Old 09-17-12, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reddish Brown Vinyl Siding Stains

About a month ago I noticed some horizontal marks on a few pieces of siding. They were a light reddish brown so I thought they were dirt. I noticed today the marks had gotten a lot darker, still reddish brown with some spots very dark, but the marks will NOT wash off like the dirt normally does.

I thought it might be a burn, but there is nothing close to this part of the siding that would cause a burn...no candles, and the grill is about 6 ft away and hasn't been used in at least a month but the spots have darkened in that month.

The ridges on the siding finish are also still intact, not melted in any way. I don't know if I'm on the right track with this or not. We don't use any sprays on the siding there are no plants by this spot, and this is the ONLY place the spots are showing up.

The AC is under the deck, but not directly under this spot, the dryer vent is also under there but it's not directly below this spot (and both the AC and dryer are at least 4 ft under this marked spot)

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck this is and how to fix it?! My landlord is going to kill me, or evict me, or both.

***and we don't use paint or anything else on the deck, I've never even touched this siding except to rinse it off when we first moved in 3 months ago. And I only used water, no soap or cleaners, just hosed off the dirt.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You're gonna think I'm goofy, but we had this occur on another thread several years ago. Stand at that position and look all around and slightly upward to adjoining houses or buildings. Is there any glass that could reflect the sun at a given time of day, say in mid afternoon? The other poster had swollen and malformed siding and it was apparently from a window pane across from his siding location. The sun would refract and it literally melted his siding. Yours looks like burn marks.

Old 09-17-12, 06:36 PM
It does, from the distance picture, but the ridges in the siding are still intact, no melting, no change in the texture, just these marks.....and the only glass near it is the sliding glass door and the window....our nearest neighbor is about 50 ft away and much lower than we are. And "burn" was my first thought, but we have NOTHING that could have burned it, I've only used water to clean it, so I don't know WTH this is....I will go tomorrow and look for any glass/windows....but it progressively gets worse.

Old 09-17-12, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 179 Posts
What's on the opposite side of the wall from this? First thing I'd want to do is unzip a piece of siding and look at what's behind there for anything unusual.

Old 09-18-12, 02:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The height is right for a malfunctioning light switch cable, so be careful when you unzip it. Although there should be OSB, you may find the same stains on it, indicating a problem that the landlord should address.

Old 09-18-12, 05:22 AM
I appreciate the responses, I know absolutely NOTHING about siding, and I've been wracking my brain trying to think what we could have done to cause this and I'm coming up with NOTHING. My biggest worry is that we're going to be held responsible and have to pay for all new siding if these pieces can't be replaced.

Nothing is on the opposite side of the deck (where I was standing to take the pic) except the staircase, our covered grill, and the yard (the grill is at least 5 1/2 ft away)

On the other side of the wall in the kitchen there is a disposal switch and an outlet, but they aren't directly behind the marks so I didn't even think of electric.

I noticed some marks farther down, on the same level as the meter (but about a foot away) and I'm going to go down today when it's sunny to see if they are the same kind of marks, they look like these when I started noticing (very light, reddish brown, look like dirt)

Thank you again for the help, I'm also going to call the owner today and ask him if he can come look at this (I'm not taking ANYTHING off the house)

Old 09-18-12, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'm also going to call the owner today

I thinks that is a good move! The longer you wait the more apt the landlord is to think you have something to hide regarding the damage. If it's some type of mold, a bleach/water solution should remove it. While it looks like a burn, you'd expect a burn to have damaged the vinyl - not just discoloration .

Old 09-18-12, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Yep, get the landlord involved right away and don't do anything else until he/she takes a look at this.