siding popping out

Old 12-26-12, 04:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
siding popping out

i have a strip of about 10 feet of siding that keeps popping out and if push it back in place it will stay until the heavy winds blow..what causes this and how should I go about fixing. This strip is the first piece right below the overhang. Thanks for any help

Old 12-26-12, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Would help if you told us what kind of siding you are talking about. From the sounds of it, I am assuming you are talking about vinyl siding? You probably could attach a picture if you wanted to make it more clear. I can't tell from your description if you are saying that the bottom edge of the siding is coming unhooked from the one below it... or if the nails that hold the nailing flange are actually what's pulling out. Maybe you could clarify.

Old 12-26-12, 05:20 PM
M
yes it is vinyl siding and the bottom edge of the first section starting under the overhang keeps popping out...I will try and get a picture and include that as well...we are in the middle of our first snow storm of the year and I was just out there with the ladder and slipping that piece back into place

Thanks for your help

Old 12-26-12, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
okay, I'll keep my eye out for those pics. I have had good success putting a few dots of 100% silicone sealant inside the bottom lip of the siding before snapping loose pieces back on. Silicone sets up fairly quickly, so the idea is that the silicone will hopefully set up and glue the piece in place so that it never pops out again.

It only takes a dot the size of a dime maybe every 2 ft. Not sure if that would help in this situation or not. Once i see the pics I'll post back later.

Old 12-26-12, 06:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
The top strip is usually trimmed to fit for height and the nailing strip gets cut off. I imagine your's was just pushed up, snapped in place which often is not enough. I apply dabs of caulk/adhesive inside the bottom channel of the top strip of siding to glue it in place. Best I've found so far is a urethane acrylic Duo-Sil made by Siroflex. If applied to to clean siding it is almost impossible to separate the pieces once it's cured.

Old 12-26-12, 07:42 PM
M
what type of outside temp will I need for it to get to before I can use that type of caulking? and thanks for the advise I do appreciate the help

Old 12-26-12, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
You can use 100% silicone in any temperature. If it seems like it won't stay put, put a piece of masking tape or similar over it to hold it for 24 hrs while the silicone sets up. Glad to help, hope it works for ya.

100% silicone is not "siliconized latex". Look for clear silicone and you'll probably get the right one.

Old 12-26-12, 07:57 PM
M
awesome I will let you know how it works out and thanks again

Old 12-27-12, 06:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
Here is waht the Duo-Sil website says about when not to use it:
DO NOT apply below 35 F or when rain or freezing temperatures may occur within 24 hours. Apply when sealant and surface tempatures are between 45 F and 90 F.

I can't say I've ever paid attention to those limitations. I've occasionally applied it in below freezing temperatures though if I'm breaking the rules it's usually because it's too hot. If your siding piece is staying up most of the time then you probably don't need the strength do Duo-Sil. Silicone or whatever adhesive you can find locally should be enough to help keep it stuck in place.

Old 12-27-12, 04:56 PM
M
thanks for info. I stopped at Lowes today and bought some 100% silicone and will wait till temps warm a little and give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: