Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Wood Clapboard siding, time to repaint! Need to be pointed in the right directio

Wood Clapboard siding, time to repaint! Need to be pointed in the right directio

Old 01-03-13, 06:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

As stated above, I'm going to start the process of scraping and painting the wood clapboard on the sides of my house.

Can anybody please point me to some url's that explain the process in detail? I want to do it right the first time!.
Gee, where did I hear that?

LOL

Thanks all!

Old 01-04-13, 06:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
This is how I normally repaint exterior siding;
#1 -pressure wash the house, not to strip the paint but to make sure it's clean. Use a bleach/water solution if there is any mildew/mold. TSP is good for both cleaning and reducing any sheen on the existing paint.
#2 - scrape. I like to use both a pull scraper and a putty knife. Some will go one step further and sand the edges. While that does make for a better job, as a painting contractor - it's not cost effective.
#3 - prime all raw wood, sometimes it's easier/better to prime it all. Generally an oil base wood primer is best although some older homes with poor insulation fair better with a latex primer.
#4 - apply 1-2 coats of a quality latex house paint. When considering the amount of labor involved, the extra money spent on a better paint is minimal.

hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: