Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

New construction window install with multiple layers of siding

Old 02-23-13, 02:50 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

i am currently renovating my kitchen which includes replacing a window with a window that will be above countertop height.

My question is what type of new construction window should i buy if i have vinyl siding on top of old shake siding on the outside of the house. it seems as though a nailing fin would be out?

Also, how would i re-side under the window with vinyl siding since its not originally mounted on the wood of the house but the old siding?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In your situation you would probably would not be able to use a new construction window, mainly due to the nailing fin. Were any of your other windows on this wall replaced? I am concerned with the thickness of two sidings and the trim molding. Maybe a couple of pictures of the area where the window will be going, along with the siding situation would help. You would mount the window on the structural wood of the house, not the siding. The siding will be removed so the window can be installed, jchannel applied, and the siding returned to its original position cut around and fit into the window opening's jchannel. You'll need to flash over the window and apply window seal on all sides as well.

Old 02-23-13, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
If you don't plan on removing the layers of siding for the life of the window, and plan on your vinyl siding being your primary siding for quite some time, here's what I'd do:

Remove several rows of vinyl siding where the window will be installed. Prepare the rough opening for the window (with nailing fin). Figure out the total thickness of old wood siding that has been installed onto the original sheathing. Let's assume that thickness is 1". Cut the old shake siding out 3 1/2" beyond the rough opening on each side, but do not cut into the original sheathing. (It often helps to nail a 1x4 onto the siding to give you a flat surface and a guide to run the skilsaw along). Then remove that siding and replace it with something of equal thickness... if it is 1" thick, then 2 layers of 1/2" plywood would work well.

Then apply some WRB like Tyvek or Typar around the opening, and extend it out as far as is practical, and incorporate it into the WRB behind the vinyl siding (if there is one). Now you have a flat consistent surface to mount the nailing fin of the window to. It moves the window farther out, but you need to trim it anyway, so your interior extension jambs will just be a little wider.

On the exterior, it's usually best to install some trim (like brickmould or 1x4... putting a sill nose on the bottom looks traditional) over the nailing fin so that if you ever need to remove the window someday you just need to remove the trim, not all the siding around it.

Old 03-05-13, 05:39 AM
I
thanks for the advice, i do have another problem though. there is a second window we are removing and i would like to run ductwork up through the cavity, the problem is the original window header. Is there a way to sister up the cut wall studs and remove the header?

Old 03-05-13, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
To remove the header from "one stud bay", you are basically just making the header shorter... so you would just need to cut the header vertically alongside one of the cripple studs in the middle of the header span and add a new full length king stud (from sill plate to top plate) to the newly cut edge of the header, and nail the header to the new king stud.

The hole left above the trimmer (where the header was removed) can just be filled in with a scrap of lumber.

Old 03-06-13, 02:41 AM
I
ooops i forgot to mention its a balloon framed house. my top plate is all the way up on the second floor. i guess thats what i'm asking... if i cut the header out of one of the 16" cavities then just sister a stud onto the center stud as high as i can go and fill in the stud was cut out would that be strong enough?

Old 03-06-13, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
In a balloon framed house, yes.