Should I replace my vertical cedar siding?

Old 03-08-13, 02:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace my vertical cedar siding?

Attached is a picture of my home. The left side is a former small moduar 3 bedroom ranch. The right side is an addition I had done 25 years ago. At the same time I did a complete re-model putting in all new anderson windows along with western red cedar vertical siding over 1/2" foam board. I am now thinking about doing a makeover mainly for curb appeal but also to get away from the maintenance of cedar. Everything is in good condition and has held up very well over the years. Problem is cedar requires maintenance. Power washing every few years and re-staining. Along with that wood peckers have become a problem (seems to be a new national problem that is getting worse each year). Insects and bees also are attaccted to cedar which requires treatments. I am thinking about replacing the cedar with some other type of siding. Possibly Hardiplank, maybe even vinyl or stucco. I am not sure how my house would look with horizontal siding. I could add a small dormer type roof over the front entry to hide the contemporay look somewhat. I am going for a more modern craftsman type look (I think it's called). I could even cover the small roof added roof with a stylish metal roof. Anyone know of any software or website that may help visualize this? Any other thoughts? Maybe I should just power wash again and stain with a solid cedar stain and hope it lasts longer than the semi-transparent I have been using over the years. Maybe even paint. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-13, 02:19 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Fiber cement siding would be my choice (Hardiplank being the most well known brand).

I hear you, I hate the maintenance wood takes outside.

Old 03-08-13, 05:49 PM
C
cement siding would certainly cut down on maintenance. You can even get it prepainted with a 25 year warranty as long as its installed correctly. I think the siding you have fits the style of the house. I def wouldn't paint it. We have a lake house with solid stained cedar that was built 14 years ago. Just now getting ready to stain a second time and i dont even think it needs it.

Old 03-08-13, 05:53 PM
C
what kind of siding is that? Board and batten?

Old 03-08-13, 08:21 PM
D
Good looking place you have there. The cost of a good pressure washer and sprayer for stain would be a lot less than replacing the siding. Many of the new stains have warranties of 6yrs. As far as craftsman style. I would change out the front door, install wooden rails on the steps and if they are not yet, do the steps in a stone and paint the foundation a darker color.
Even if you changed the siding, you would still be pressure washing the house every year or two.

Old 03-09-13, 04:05 AM
M
Chip,
It's Western Red Cedar tongue & groove. All the nails are hidden in the groove. Also what kind of solid cedar stain did you use on your lake house? I think the solid lasts longer. No woodpecker problems? The solid may lay on top of the wood a little more discouraging them.

Old 03-09-13, 03:08 PM
C
Also what kind of solid cedar stain did you use on your lake house? I think the solid lasts longer. No woodpecker problems?

I can't tell what kind it is right now. (Can is at the house two hours away) One thing though is I have rough cut siding (yours is probably smooth) so I probably got better penetration. Also, you already have layers of stain whereas mine was applied directly to raw wood. You need to take the can of stuff you've been using to a good paint store and make sure the new will be compatible with the old. As far as the woodpeckers I can't offer anything there (if it were me, I would get a good bb gun)

Old 03-10-13, 07:56 AM
M
One thing though is I have rough cut siding (yours is probably smooth) so I probably got better penetration. Also, you already have layers of stain whereas mine was applied directly to raw wood.
Mine is also rough. The cedar comes smooth on one side and rough on the other so I installed it rough side out. It was factory stained with Olympic semi-transparent cedar colored stain. Everytime it gets power washed everything is removed and I am down to brand new cedar. I think I am going to order a sample of Cabot's cedar colored solid stain and see what it looks like.

Old 03-10-13, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
A solid stain resembles paint. While it will let the texture of the wood show thru it doesn't allow the different colors in the grain to show thru. IMO I'd stick with semi-transparent stain since you wood is still in good shape. I generally switch to a solid stain when there is age, stains or whatever that needs to be covered up. A solid stain does generally last longer than a translucent or semi-transparent stain. A lot depends on the look you want. Personally, I think your house looks nice like it is

Old 03-10-13, 12:01 PM
M
IMO I'd stick with semi-transparent stain since you wood is still in good shape. I generally switch to a solid stain when there is age, stains or whatever that needs to be covered up. A solid stain does generally last longer than a translucent or semi-transparent stain. A lot depends on the look you want. Personally, I think your house looks nice like it is
Thanks for the compliment. That picture of the front shows the house at it's best. It was probably pressure washed and stained about 1 year before that pic. Attcched below is a pic of the back of the house which gets more sun. It shows the cedar at it's worst point before I pressure wash and stain. I think a solid stain may delay getting to this condition.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10070[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 03-10-13, 12:34 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
My previous house had painted vertical cedar siding. I didn't want to paint it again and opted to have vinyl siding applied. I did have to use a car-wash brush with Simple Green followed by a rinse with a pressure washer every three or four years but I was very pleased with the vastly reduced maintenance.

Old 03-11-13, 04:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no doubt that vinyl siding has very little maintenance compared to wood. I prefer the look of wood but then I am a painter

Solid stain will last longer than a semi-transparent stain. The more exposure coatings get to sun and rain the harder it is on them and it appears the back of your house gets a lot of exposure

Old 03-11-13, 05:46 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
A darker stain will also slow down the look of aged cedar. I have a cedar sided house with a dark semi-transparent stain on it. I have stained it once about 3 years ago and have lived here 13 years. I never have to powerwash, very little maintenance at all other than replaced some trim boards at the time of staining. My deck on the other hand has been re-stained 3 times and needs it again. I used a premium stain that claimed the longest life on vertical surfaces. The stain you mentioned that came with your wood is known for not lasting more than a couple years.

If your pressure washing removes all stain to bare wood then you are not getting any penetration. Stain, by its very name, "stains" the wood and gets into the fibers. I would question the product you have been using.

Old 03-11-13, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll find your better stains [coatings, advice too] at your local paint store as opposed to a paint dept in a big store. Oil stains tend to penetrate better than the water based stains but are more subject to fading. I prefer the waterborne stains although they have a longer drying time and a short recoat window.

You mentioned wood peckers They are attracted to insects or what they think sounds like insects. If you have an insect problem - it needs to be addressed. Woodpeckers think that styrofoam expanding/contracting sounds like bugs. When that is the case it doesn't matter what type of siding [even stucco] is on the house - they'll try to find a way to get to what they think is food

Old 06-10-13, 07:41 PM
R
Result??

Did you replace your siding. My house looks likes yours and I would like to see what you decided to do. Thanks

Old 02-26-14, 06:49 AM
I
for woodpeckers

I came to this thread because I'm thinking about replacing my 40 year old vertical cedar siding. I'm undecided on that but want to weigh in on woodpeckers. I hung strips of flashy holgram tape under the eves and sprayed the wood with a product called Bonine and I haven't had a woodpecker on my house since then. 2 years and counting.

Old 04-27-14, 08:24 AM
M
My original house pic is the first post in this thread. Here is my first take at a redesign. It's still a little crude at this point but it gets the point across. Siding is Hardie plank in Monterey Taupe. Lots of white trim. Also some stone to cover foundation. Stone on right in pic will also cover foundation on left. Any thoughts?[ATTACH=CONFIG]30699[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-14, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The change in trim color as well as the house color makes a good statement. The rock work also is nice and brings the chimney to other parts of the house.

Old 09-12-14, 08:25 AM
M
For those that have asked a pic of the completed house is below. I ended up using a product called Everlast siding which I believe is a better alternative to the Hardie board I was considering.

Name:  Small_0338.jpg
Views: 7094
Size:  25.5 KB