Wood Header over garage door

Old 03-27-13, 01:02 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wood Header over garage door

I have a 2 car garage with 2 X 9 wooden header with 2 vertical side pieces of the same. This wood appears to be of a sub-standard grade of wood, all pitted/notched.
My house is only 10 years old. The wood needs to be repainted but feel that just paint will yet make it nice. Is there a product such as mud for doing dry wall to make it look nice. I guess I might have to cover with alumimum. Is there really a sub-standard wood? What would you suggest? I think I have attached a couple of pics. Thanks, Bob

Attached Images   
Old 03-27-13, 01:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Looks like the same wood they used for the trim around my garage doors.

I decided it would be too much work to apply but I bought some wood putty at the paint store for this purpose.

Old 03-27-13, 01:24 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You could use a two-part high solids epoxy paint. It is difficult to use and probably fairly expensive but it would leave a surface much better looking than what you now have. Pre-finished aluminum flashing might be easier and less expensive as long as there are no compound angles to bend.

Old 03-27-13, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd clean it, prime with exterior oil base wood primer and apply 2 coats of latex house paint. That should get it looking fairly decent for the least amount of money. You didn't say if it's been repainted along the way but builders often skimp on the primer and then only apply 1 coat of finish.

What I don't like is where the gap on the top pic is. The top piece of wood should have come all the way down. That's a bad place to have a joint. As noted above, covering with aluminum would look nice and take away most of the maintenance.

Old 03-27-13, 07:01 PM
D
The gap you mention really isn"t a gap, it is an insulation strip on the top edge of the door. Thanks for everyone help. Bob

Old 03-28-13, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I realize that, what I'm referring to is where the 2 pieces of wood meet on the face of the wood frame below the siding.

Old 03-28-13, 01:36 PM
D
What do you suggest as a cleaning product before painting? Thanks, Bob

Old 03-28-13, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I normally use a bleach water solution [never stronger than 50% bleach] here in the south as mildew is often an issue. If it's chalky, I'll add some TSP to the mix. Detergent and scrub brush will work also. Just remember to rinse well!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: