How do I put vinyl siding over wooden German siding?

Old 04-24-13, 07:27 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I put vinyl siding over wooden German siding?

I'd like to put vinyl siding over my current wood siding (it's in good shape). I have a few questions that I'm hoping this forum can help with. They are:

1. Can vinyl be attached directly to current siding?
2. What about adding some sort of insulation board before adding vinyl?
3. Do they make vinyl "stuff" to put around windows (over wood) or is that only aluminum?

Thanks, folks,
Rocky

Old 04-24-13, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,808 Upvotes on 1,626 Posts
1). yes

2). you can, but it's not necessary, and won't add much r-value unless you add 1" or more.

3). There is one type of vinyl trim coil that I know of: Pro-Trim DuroBend® Solid Bendable Vinyl Coil. I have only seen samples of it at trade shows. Like aluminum trim coil, you have to cut it and custom bend it on a metal brake to form the shapes you need. There is not really anything "premade" that you can get to cover your window trim. One option might be to replace some of your face trim with PVC trim boards (like Azek or Versatex). They also make a 3 1/2" vinyl window casing that some guys use to "trim" windows... And then there is the "Double snap vinyl trim system" that Royal Building products offers. I have never used it.

Old 04-25-13, 02:43 AM
R
Thanks for your helpful feed back.

Old 04-29-13, 05:16 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Really could use some pictures.
There's a whole lot involved to do this right.
All the window and door trim you have now will have to be built out so the J moulding is not sticking out past the old trim.
I'd strongly that you also wrap all the fashias and cover the soffits with vinyl soffit to make the whole house painting free.
That vinyl bendable vinyl that was mentioned would not be what you want to use to wrap the trim.
It works fine for flashing on a ledger when attaching a deck to a home, but will not work to cover the window and door trim. It expands and contracts way to much.
In most cases just covering the walls with house wrap then siding is the way to go.
Adding foam, builds the walls out to far and adds a second vaper barrier which can cause the insides of the walls to sweat and cause mold.

Old 04-29-13, 06:37 AM
R
Thanks for your response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: