Hardie board prepainted - problems

Old 05-06-13, 09:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardie board prepainted - problems

Hi,

We have just had a hardie-recommeded contracter install hardie board on the side of our house, along with new window trim.

But we have noticed the following problems:

1) Even though we ordered prepainted, there are patches, some look rough, and a slightly different color. Theres proberbly 2 on each plank, and when the sun catches it they all just light up a totally different color

2) The windwo trim is not white like the rest of the house, its gray like the siding. It looks like the window trim came with the hardie planks. Also it is not mitered at angles like the rest of the house, its just 4 rectangles.

Are either of these normal, or am I right in being concerned?

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 10:20 AM
If, in fact, you ordered and were provided Hardie's Colorplus (R) Technology siding, your first complaint should go to Hardie's USA/Canada office:

26300 La Alameda, Suite 400
Mission Viejo, California 92691
1-888 J-HARDIE
1-888 542-7343

They should have a field rep at your house to look at the problem in a matter of only a few days, max.
If you ordered through your contractor, I'm going to bite my tongue and let your draw your own conclusions. The Colorplus siding is about twice as expensive as what can be purchased at the local lumberyard or big box store. The product you will find in those outlets has primer only and needs to be painted the desired color by the contractor.

James Hardie company takes the quality of their products very seriously and I truly doubt they would have allowed product that looks like what you describe go out the door.

As for the window trim, what does your contract say was supposed to be provided?

Last edited by tldoug; 05-06-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 12:11 PM
J
thanks for your reply,

I'm not sure the exact name of the Hardie product, but it was already painted gray straight out of the box. No painting was required.
And it was the contractor who supplied it.

But As they nailed it up, they must have patched over the nailheads somehow, and the patching, whilst an almost identical color, is still very visible. Especially when the sun shines on it.

Is this how it is normally installed?

We told them to replace the windo trim which was rotten. We never expected the new trim to be gray and cut-square. But like I say, it looks like they have used the hardie edging as the window trim, and it is kept gray. Is this normal?

Old 05-06-13, 01:05 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No one here can see what your seeing or know what he used.
Really could at least use a few pictures.
There should have been no nails showing on the Hardee panels except under the windows and at the very top of the siding in the last row.

Old 05-06-13, 02:35 PM
J
We just spoke to the contractor. He said that the hardie planks came with a color-matching touchup paint that they use to cover scuffs.

It seems like every board has at least 2 touchups on it, and they are very noticeable.

So they were covering scuffs not nails like I had assumed. I will try and get some photos.