Is this Asbestos Siding???

Old 06-20-13, 11:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this Asbestos Siding???

Hey everybody, My home was built in the suburbs of philly in 68 and I'm not quite sure if this is just concrete or asbestos concrete shingles. They are 4 foot in length and while height is kind of tough to tell they are about 9 inches tall (about 7 7/8 show below the above shingle). I have been reading a lot about the asbestos shingle and what confuses me is that these are not really nailed on. There are very few nails through these shingles and most of the articles I've read talk about the manufacturers placing nail holes in the shingles to avoid breaking during installation. When I say very few I don't mean per shingle, I mean overall throughout the entire exterior. Only a couple of shingles have nails, like the ones on the bottom row and a few other places. Almost every for, except for the bottom, sit on what looks like a rail/ledge or channel system. I am thinking that this rail/ledge is attached to the wood behind the shingle, but I'm not sure. I have attached a few pictures which show the side of my home. Any help would be great, and any questions you have I will try to answer right away. Thanks
Name:  IMG_0766-1.jpg
Views: 8721
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0767.jpg
Views: 25621
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0768.jpg
Views: 14250
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0769.jpg
Views: 9266
Size:  33.6 KB

Old 06-20-13, 12:45 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's asbestos, there's nails holding it up where the pieces over lap.

Last edited by joecaption1; 06-20-13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 01:06 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
It is a little different than the asbestos I've installed, but the year and appearance supports the conclusion. A 4' piece of concrete siding would have weighed a ton and I don't remember it being available back in 68. At least in the low cost housing I worked on.

I'll go with Joe, asbestos.

Bud

Old 06-20-13, 01:33 PM
M
The shown nails are only on a couple of pieces, not every one. Most pieces don't have any nails at all, but I have always thought of it as asbestos.
Thanks Joe

Old 06-20-13, 01:37 PM
M
Can you tell me what is different? Also, do you thing I am correct in my guess about how it is attached to the home?

Old 06-20-13, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I remember it from the early 60's on my grandfather's house. That stuff would shatter like glass if you hit it wrong. From what I see on your structure, however, I will have to say it is asbestos based.

Old 06-20-13, 02:33 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Most nails would be covered by the course above.A big cutter would slice or poke holes in the shingles.Looks like asbestos to me too.

Old 06-20-13, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I also think it's asbestos shingles - least ways it looks like all the asbestos shingle siding I used to paint. As the others have stated, the shingles are nailed to the wall - the nails are hidden by the row of shingles above it.

What are your plans for the siding? With the proper prep and quality coatings - a paint job on asbestos shingles can last a long time.

Old 06-20-13, 03:59 PM
M
I am not sure if I want to replace it with vinyl siding or paint it. I would really like to know as much as possible about it before I make my decision. I am leaning towards replacing it mostly because of the updated look it would give. I am just somewhat confused what that lip below the shingle is because they extend past the shingles for quite some distance.

Old 06-20-13, 04:17 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I never used that lip, most had a wave type pattern on the bottom.The stuff was pretty strong but abit brittle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: