need outside cornver help for vinyl facia

Old 08-12-13, 11:17 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need outside cornver help for vinyl facia

I am in need of help in learning how to do the corners when I'm adding vinyl facia trim to my shed. It has a gable roof and I'm having a hard time imagining what to do where the outside corners meet. Do you just notch it, fold it over and nail it? Anyone have any pictures or links?

The corner is very similar to the one in this picture.

Attached Images  
Old 08-12-13, 11:57 AM
D
Installing the facia material along the long side, mark the lower lip of the facia for the corner then measure to the gable side corner of the facia box add 1/8" then transfer that measure to the facia then measure the return side of the facia box and mark that. Snip the lower lips of the facia on the marks, bend at 90 degrees and install.

Attached Images    
Old 08-13-13, 01:02 PM
A
Another question....I don't actually have a facia box, it's just a 2x4 trim where the soffit would usually go (small shed) on that left side. I was thinking of using vinyl brick ledger to cover up the wood where the facia would normally go. Seems like a good fit as far as size goes....

Are there any issues that should keep me from doing so?

Old 08-13-13, 02:52 PM
D
A bit confused as to the vinyl brick ledger (drip cap?) and where you would be installing it. Got any more pics or drawings?

Old 08-14-13, 04:36 AM
A
Basically, I would be using the duraflash ledger board in this picture to cap the 2x4 trim on the shed. I held a piece up and it seemed like it would be a pretty good fit. I was thinking That short lip on the vinyl can be ripped/cut off. The side with the nail holes is the underside of the trim board. The holes would be covered with the sidings J channel after installation. The part where I cut the lip off would slide under the drip can I plan on installing under the existing shingles.

I wouldn't be installing separate soffit or facia then, just capping the trim. I would opt for aluminum, but it doesn't seem like they sell much other than drip cap of f/j channel in the big box stores.

I added another pic that shows the type of trim I am covering. If you look at the tan shed, right below the lip on the shingles.

Attached Images   
Old 08-14-13, 06:28 AM
D
Once you cut the lower lip off, you have an L, or smaller version of a piece of facia trim. If the trim fits, you must acquit. If you are using it backwards, it might not have the white color that you would be looking for.

Old 08-14-13, 07:28 AM
A
This stuff is solid white all the way through, and seems to be as thick, if not just a hair thicker than vinyl siding. I wish they just sold L shape stuff (not the 8" wide facia trim) to begin with....

Thanks for all your help on this BTW. I've done siding before on small projects, but I didn't have to cover trim at the time....

Also...just noticed I've been spelling Fascia wrong....that's how little I know.....

Last edited by alarmdan; 08-14-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-15-13, 07:17 AM
D
If you have a roofing center near by they may have a drip edge that would work and you won't have to cut off the lip. Or you may be able to find 4" fascia if that will work. Good luck and have fun.

Old 09-09-13, 03:40 PM
A
I ended up going with PVC trim....just seemed extra to cap it....but I'm a scardy cat

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: