Small hole repair in vinyl siding

Old 08-18-13, 01:05 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small hole repair in vinyl siding

New homeowner here. Very excited, but green. Was wondering about repairing a small hole in the vinyl siding. The previous owners ran their satellite dish wire from outside through the wall into our living room in, what appears to be, a very makeshift job. I am comfortable with repairing the interior hole, but have no experience with vinyl siding. Plus, considering there's essentially a hole in the side of my house, I want to make sure I follow the right steps.

Any suggestions on material for repair? I've heard about "Great Stuff" foam or gorilla glue. I'm hoping this will be a relatively easy fix. Not too concerned about cosmetics and I'm getting rid of the satellite dish/wire. Thanks.

INSIDE:

OUTSIDE (wire secured by some funky brownish glue):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16498[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 08-18-13, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 774 Votes on 715 Posts
If you wanted to unzip the vinyl siding to get at the hole in the WRB and sheathing, you would need a Malco Sideswiper siding unlock tool, or similar. Unzipping the siding is usually pretty easy because you can just use your hand to separate the siding at a seam and run it along the bottom edge of the siding so that it unlocks. You need the tool primarily when you go to zip it back up.

Repairing the hole in the sheathing and WRB is probably just as easy as caulking the hole shut, or putting a piece of WRB tape or window flashing tape over it. As for the hole in the vinyl siding, it will look best if you clean all the gunk off there first. Then get yourself some OSI Quad (white)- the Lowes in our area carries it- and caulk the hole shut from the back side of the siding, making a big blob on the back, covering the hole and letting only very little gush out the front. Snap the siding back up, being careful not to get into the fresh caulking.

Then use a little paint thinner on your finger to pat the caulking back down until the surface is flat. Repeat as needed with clean paint thinner until the caulking looks fairly smooth, and fills the hole, but is not indented. Clean off any caulking that got onto the face of the siding around the hole, using a rag and paint thinner.

Replacing the piece of siding is another option, if you have any spare pieces around. Generally when you replace one piece of siding on a house, however- even if you have the same exact brand and color- you will have one piece of siding that is bright white, making all the surrounding pieces look dirty and old.

Old 08-18-13, 03:47 PM
N
Thanks very much! I will give this a try. I researched the OSI quad and noticed that it's not necessary/recommended to tool it. Would that affect this approach? Or should I use another type of exterior caulk that I can spread the way I want?

Old 08-18-13, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 774 Votes on 715 Posts
You can tool it just like I mentioned.

Old 08-20-13, 10:34 PM
D
Pull the siding as mentioned, then clean the goo off the siding, front and back. Try using a painters stick to scrape it off. Don't be too rough. Put a piece of painters tape on the outside of the siding and stick it tight. Now put a gob of OSI on the backside. Take a second piece of tape and put it over the gob and smush it a little. Reinstall the siding and in a week, pull the tape off the outside. Touch up with paint if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: