Shed foundation?

Old 08-20-13, 06:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed foundation?

I am having a shed built. I am responsible for the foundation. The City inspector told me I can use any foundation as long as I anchor it in two spots. The shed builder recommends a base of loose stone. Everything else I have read recommends chips and dust.

Anyway, my issue is that the area is not level. the back of the shed will be the high spot, so I have to add material to the front side. I will need to build the front up by 18-22 inches. I estimate 4-5 yards of material and will have to build a retaining wall to keep the material in place.

I think that no matter what I use, this amount of material is going to settle over time, causing issues in the future.

I was thinking of putting a platform (like a deck) to create the base for the shed. This might be easier than moving 4-5 yards of material and building a retaining wall. The base would have 6 4x4 posts cemented into the ground below the frost line.

Is this overkill? Should I just fill in the area with stones/chips and dust?

Thanks

Old 08-20-13, 06:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
Whenever feasible, I prefer a concrete floor in a shed. Personally I'd pour a footer and erect a cinder block foundation wall. What are your intended uses for the shed? how much weight? would a wood floor be stout enough? A wood floor might be easier/cheaper but will the increased height be an issue?

Old 08-20-13, 04:25 PM
M
I am not sure how I would get that much cement in my backyard. I live in the suburbs and the houses are close together. The yard is fenced in so it is hard to get anything back there. Other than bags of cement.

Using the 4x4 PT posts cemented in seemed like an easy thing to do. By boxing it in with 2x6s or 2x8s and creating platform with no more than 24" on center would be strong enough to lay 3/4" PT plywood as the floor.

As far as weight... Probably the heaviest think I would put in there is either my self propelled mower or my compound miter and table. Possibly an air compressor.

Thanks!

Old 08-20-13, 10:51 PM
D
You're just preping the foundation (flat spot) for the shed and the contractor is building a complete shed with a floor? If you were placing the shed on level ground, a layer of loose stone would work. Since you need to build up the area for the shed, you will want to use the chip and dust and build it out at least 6" past the shed footprint and compact it as best as you can. Once you have the base for the shed, you will want to use topsoil to fill from the existing ground to the new base and seed it. You are building a mini mountain and it will erode.
I guess you will be using a wheel barrow to get the stone back there? If so, I would probably use a wheel barrow to move concrete back there instead. Any chance of digging out the back and building the retaining wall there. You will find that large slope in the front (if that's where the door will be) will be a royal pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: