Glue PVC trim on long edges?

Old 08-29-13, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue PVC trim on long edges?

The more I get in to the project I am working on, the more questions I end up having....at least it seems that way.

I am going to be using PVC trim boards for the shed I am building. I have included a picture I found of a similar type of trim layout, done in wood.

On the left side of that picture, you can see that the fascia is basically a couple of 1x4 boards that are 8 feet long. One is fastened to the underside of the rafters, and one is fastened to the side of the rafters.

I plan on doing this type of trim with PVC trim boards, and I know many people glue miter joints and end joints, but what about the joint between these 8' long boards?

It seems like it would be a circus act trying to hold the glued joints together while trying to fasten the fascia board with cortex screws. Also, I would be worried about differences in expansion / contraction between the 2 boards.

Is this something I shouldn’t have to do?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-13, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No...you don't need to glue butt joints like that. Just wait for a cool/cloudless day when they have shrunk then caulk with a quality caulk as recommended by the manufacturer. Even that probably isn't really necessary since the amount of expansion/contraction across that dimension will be very small.

Old 08-29-13, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
I have been using Duofast Trimbonder for stuff like that. Injecting it into the gap just like caulking. Anything that gushes out can be chiselled or sanded down flat. Only drawback of it is that it isn't flexible like caulking... but I'd had good success with it.

Old 08-29-13, 06:11 PM
Just to be sure I'm asking the right question, I've attached a really bad drawing I made showing the glue joint I'm referring to. I'm not really talking about where the trim on the front of the shed meets the trim on the side. I'm talking more about just the boards on the side. I've highlighted that part in red. This would be the trim on the right side of the shed because of how I have it drawn.

So I'm guessing no glue here? Or do I have it wrong?

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-13, 07:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can buy premade outside corners in PVC. Any real siding supply should have or can get some.
If you use 2, 2 X 4 there's no need to glue and I would not trust just glue to hold it.
I'd just use stainless steel trim head screws.

Old 08-29-13, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
That's a good place to spread on some Azek glue, after you install the 1x4 soffit and have the 1x4 fascia cut to length and ready to install. The Home Depot's in our area carry that glue now. The can has a swab and the lid of the can is the handle... just like the cans of pvc cement. But the Azek glue doesn't set up as fast- it has a longer working time. Regardless of whether you glue it or not, the s.s. trim head screws are a good idea.

Generally speaking, I always use the "woodgrain" side of the Azek as the back side, so that the PVC is oriented smooth side out.

Old 07-28-15, 08:43 PM
Just saw this post from a few years ago. If you do decide to use the glue, should you miter the corners the full length of the trim or just leave it square and glue?

Old 07-29-15, 05:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Chad, just leave the boards square. Mitering them could cause the narrowest part to split away from the wider part. Using the Cortex system makes it almost invisible as far as connectors goes. As Brant said using the Duofast or Azek glue works great.