Vinyl Siding - outside corner post angle or not????

Old 09-04-13, 05:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Siding - outside corner post angle or not????

ok, I have pretty much replicated the soffit and fascia trim for my shed out of PCV trim as it looks in the attached picture (not my shed, but darn close now).

Now, for the corner posts however, I am just going to use plane old vinyl siding corner posts because I am siding the shed.

I'm pretty sure I can replicate the corner post angles as shown in this pic with the side under the soffit being somewhat higher than the end of the angled cut of the rake edge fascia.

Is this what I should do, or are there other recommended ideas to consider? I imagine the siding portion of this project will go fairly quick, so I thought I'd better ask now.

I don't intend to use any PVC trim boards for the outside corners, just vinyl siding outside corner posts.

Attached Images  
Old 09-04-13, 07:16 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure why your asking or why.
There is no other way to do an outside corner with vinyl siding, PVC trim would and should never be used.
Without a real picture of your shed it's hard to suggest what you may run into.
The one in the picture you posted has no over hang on the rake so an outside corner would stick out past the rake board and allow water to run down inside of it and look like poop.

Old 09-04-13, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Yes, that is what you should do. If you don't yet have a sliding t-bevel, get one. It's invaluable for that sort of thing.

Old 09-04-13, 07:25 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Another no tools need way to figure out the angle is to just side the outside corner up tight to the lower side and measure the distance from the high side to the rake.
That's the distance to make your mark and remove on the low side.

Old 09-04-13, 07:48 PM
A
Not sure why your asking or why.
I've just been looking at some homes around where I live, and on some, I've seen them cut it flush an somehow use J channel running through the corner post. It got me confused...

The one in the picture you posted has no over hang on the rake so an outside corner would stick out past the rake board and allow water to run down inside of it and look like poop.
I used 4 inch wide 1/2" ply to build add some space behind the rake edge fascia, then I added the PVC fascia trim, which is 1" thick. The corner post fits well under it, but like I said many of the homes around here do that J channel in the corner post thing....couldn't find any detail about that online, but It seems like cutting it to fit snugly under the soffit and fascia is the best way to go anyhow.

Old 09-08-13, 04:19 PM
A
ok, I just held together a couple of pieces for these pictures, but I'm hoping for some info/opinions...

Here's kind of what I was referring to...aside from me not being the best at cutting this angle, which would it be better to do, leave the top up against the fascia on the gable, or slide some J channel in above to try to make it a bit neater?

would sliding the J channel in cause any issues with water or anything like that?

Attached Images   
Old 09-08-13, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
If the angle was cut better the top one is what you would normally di. the 2nd one looks ok from the side but maybe a little janky from the end. either way.

Old 09-09-13, 03:19 PM
A
it seems to go a lot better if I stop trying to cut the post and simply score it and break it off....

I had no idea this stuff broke off at a score line so easily (using a t-bevel is a help too)....

Just wanted to say, Thanks...I'm going with option 1. I think I'd be in the fetal position right now without this forum...

Old 09-09-13, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
A grinder and abrasive wheel works well where a tin snips sometimes doesn't.

Old 09-21-13, 08:16 PM
A
ok....one more quick question...almost done with the siding, but I think I'm going to have to redo the j channel along the gable.

I went with option 1 (a clean cut on the corner post angle and the j channel butted right up next to it....

I did not tab the j channel to fit in to the channel of the outside corner post and now I can see a very small opening at the very top of the outside corner post if I look into the area where the corner post meets the j channel that would lead into the inside of the corner post and possible the backside of the trim.

I'm not so worried about rain, because it would have to be raining up...but If I ever power wash it, I can see water being able to run behind the corner post.

Before I redo, I have to ask...

you would normally have a tab tucked in to the channel of the corner post...right?

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-13, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
You are being a little too OCD about this. Vinyl siding is in no way water proof, and water will obviously get behind it if you spray it with a power washer. That's what the WRB behind the siding is supposed to do... protect the sheathing/framing from getting wet, should water get behind the siding, which it will.

But to answer your question, no you would not ordinarily put a tab on the j-channel so that you can't "see up" into the space above the corner post. You can do it however you like if it helps you sleep at night, but it is not normally done that way.

Old 09-22-13, 05:52 AM
A
point taken

If it's not the usual, then I'm not going to bother. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: