Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Vinyl Siding - Goof Off left a "shine." How can I remove?

Old 09-10-13, 09:10 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So my wife and I just moved into our home about 4 months ago (first time home buyers) and some punk kids decided it would be fun to spray paint some vulgar stuff onto the side of the home. I purchased some goof off which removed the paint but it has left a "shine" to the siding.

I had a contractor come out to give me an estimate on replacing it but I am afraid my vinyl siding could be discontinued. That being said, I don't want to replace the whole side or do some patch work on it. I will try and post some pictures soon.

Someone recommended I try to buffer it out to remove the shine. Is that possible? Can you paint vinyl perhaps?

Name:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 5248
Size:  36.2 KBName:  photo.jpg
Views: 6496
Size:  29.2 KB

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-13, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Old siding oxidizes. Using the goof-off and a rag you have basically polished off the oxidation About the only way to help it match is to polish the rest of the siding. I doubt pressure washing and brushing will really help...but that and a few years of sun will probably greatly reduce the difference in sheens.

I'd try to blend it in using something like ArmourAll low gloss (or maybe high gloss?), a terry towel, and a lot of elbow grease before I used any sort of power buffer. Luckily that's a relatively small wall.

Yes it can be painted...but that means it will have to be maintained and repainted eventually. Kinda takes away some of the advantages of vinyl siding.

Old 09-10-13, 10:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Painting vinyl is a little different than painting wood so let us know if you decide to go that route. A decent paint job on vinyl should last around 10 yrs ..... but as Vic said, then it's no longer maintenance free

Old 09-10-13, 10:32 AM
W
If you do decide to go the painting route, you will need to choose a colour that is the same or lighter than the current colour of the siding. Do not even consider anything darker, which could cause the siding to warp or buckle from heat.

Kids are a pain sometimes.

Old 09-10-13, 10:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I would assume that the color would stay the same and just the one side of the house would get painted. BUT SWP has a vinyl safe line of paint that will allow you to use darker colors. Traditionally we had to stick with the same or lighter color because the vinyl is temp rated and darker colors will heat the vinyl up more.

Old 09-10-13, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 723 Posts
Vic is right on the money. You have restored the original sheen of the siding. You might as well polish the whole side that way. I've heard that Pledge will shine siding up too... at least until the oxidation comes back.

Old 09-10-13, 11:56 AM
N
Thank you all for the input. I am going to weigh my options and possibly try to blend up a small sample and see where that gets me. I think painting the vinyl will be my last choice before I consider hiring a contractor to replace it.

I will come back with updates/pictures soon.

Old 09-10-13, 12:31 PM
D
The first and least expensive thing I would do is get a bucket, some mild soap, a brush and hose and try washing the siding. Do it when it's shaded if you can and give it a good scrubbing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: