painting a chimney

Old 10-02-13, 08:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting a chimney

I have a two story home and need to paint the exterior.However, the chimney is very high and I need advice on how to paint an area that high up,ladders,lift or what?

Old 10-02-13, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How is the chimney constructed? [brick, wood sided chase, something else] and what is it currently painted with? What is the surrounding terrain like?

Normally ladders are used to reach the taller parts although sometimes a roller pole is used for extended reach. Usually the setup time takes too long for scaffolding to be a viable option.

pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-02-13, 03:25 PM
B
well.....

wood sided, painted with an exterior paint and it is on the side of the house surrounded by the lawn

Old 10-03-13, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you'd just use an extension ladder to reach the top. You can rent one if you don't have one long enough.

If the existing paint is chalky, you need to either wash off the chalk or add Flood's EmulsaBond to the 1st coat of latex paint [or latex primer] to insure long term adhesion.

Old 10-03-13, 09:04 AM
B
here's a look at what I'm woking on....

as you can see it's a little high.....lol.....and how will I reach the front/rear sides?

Old 10-03-13, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
An extension ladder will get the side facing the driveway. Looks like you'd need to lean a step ladder [folded up] against the backside. You'll have to reach around and paint the sides from either the roof ladder or the extension ladder - maybe both.

If you don't want to set a ladder on the roof, you can use a brush connected to a brush holder and roller pole to get what you can't reach by just standing on the roof. Here is one example of a brush holder - Mr. Longarm Paint Brush and Tool Holder-0650 at The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: