Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

front and rear soffits not level, vinyl siding install

Old 11-03-13, 07:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

okay, i have done alot of research and asked questions here. so far my long siding project is going good and almost complete.
i have arrived at my siding meets soffit panel. i measured and checked all along the front of the house. not bad, maybe 1/2 inch off in a 40 foot stretch.

then it turns bad... i measured the the final panel, and it is about one inch more than my front panel will be.
my corners and panels are all level and meet nicely at all corners. i was like this can not be happening. so after it gets dark, i bring out a laser level, across the side of my house so it hits both soffits. sure enough, the rear soffit sits higher than the front.

so my concern. is this common?
what are some ideas or methods to making it look more even with both sides?
is it just a leave it alone kind of thing?

house is a 1955 ranch being resided and new vinyl soffits as well.

Old 11-03-13, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 779 Votes on 718 Posts
Can't really give much specific advice without lots of photos. On a ranch home where the soffit is all supposedly at the same level, it is often best to forget level and simply measure down from each corner of the existing soffit when determining where to start the siding, so that you are starting it all, say... 96" down from the soffit on each corner. Of course if things are really out of level you need to find a happy medium. To me, it doesn't make sense to make things "perfectly level" if it is going to wind up exaggerating the crookedness of the siding in one place (like under windows... or at the last piece near the soffit)

Also, what kind of a laser level are you using to determine all of this. Believe it or not, lots of laser levels aren't all that accurate across long distances. The ones that are cost 100's of $$$ and are more like a transit.

Old 11-03-13, 09:48 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use a self leveling lazar level.
That way it does not matter if the foundation or roof is off the siding will still be level.

Old 11-04-13, 04:49 AM
T
i will take any photos i can to help out. i cant really take a photo of the difference in soffits, it probably wont show up in a photo.
i agree with measuring down from the soffit, but if i did that, my siding would be an inch off at some point, or it would step some at each corner. that sounds unattractive.
have you ever used finish trim as a spacer to bring the finished edge down some? like one finish trim nailed directly below another... that extra 3/4 inch would be ideal.
its a $200 bosch auto level laser. 150 foot range. to double check, i also used a skill auto level laser and an eight foot aluminum level in random spots.

the siding looks great and is level everywhere i check.
i do have some waving in a spot where the old house's wall is kinda "bowed" a small bit. nothing major.

i think the house's soffits were built a little off since they are not directly connected. there is no gable end soffit.

i do understand what you mean by measuring down from the soffits, but if i start my siding all at say 96", both of my sidewalls would have an inch slope from front to back. thats a lot of slope on a 25 foot sidewall.

Old 11-04-13, 06:00 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have exposed rafter tails now a perfect time to close them up and add soffit venting.
A picture of that area would be great.

Old 11-04-13, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 779 Votes on 718 Posts
have you ever used finish trim as a spacer to bring the finished edge down some? like one finish trim nailed directly below another
No, but I have used a double j-channel on occasion.

1" out of level on a 25' wall would probably be imperceptible, unless there was something like a level window on that wall that would have a noticeable taper above and below it. Sometimes you can split the difference. But it just depends. I'll take a look at the pictures if you get around to posting them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: