cover brick molding

Old 11-24-13, 07:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cover brick molding

The exterior brick molding on myhouse is looking tired. I would like to cover it with aluminum. I could do it if I had an aluminum brake or rented and aluminum brake...but I would rather buy some "ready made" brick mold cover. I read somewher on this forum about someone making it without a brake. Interesting... But is it possible?

I am not interested in replacing the wood with the HIGH DOLLAR pvc alternatives.

Old 11-24-13, 07:23 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A whole lot cheaper to go with the PVC.
A roll of coil stock is about $82.00.
Getting a siding company to do this for you would cost far more.
Good luck trying to make 4 bends by hand, really need a brake or a tool called a Brake Buddy which can make the shape in one pass, but cost over $300.00 to buy.

Old 11-24-13, 07:24 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It would take quite a bit of time and talent to brake brick mold. The newer molded brick mold is not that expensive when compared to the labor intensive wrapping. With wrapping you still have your sad wood. With the molded stuff you have a bright permanence that is paintable.

Old 11-24-13, 07:57 AM
D
I have 4 more houses that need the same thing. I am well above the average DIY'er. I believe I could get the hang of using a brake very quickly. Tell me more about a "Brake Buddy"

Old 11-24-13, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 788 Votes on 726 Posts
People who "cover" tired wood with cladding also usually do it in a way that it allows water to be trapped behind the wood, accelerating its demise. Wet wood rots more quickly. Something to think about.

Old 11-24-13, 08:46 AM
J
Tapco 11676 Brake Buddy with Case - Amazon.com
Even with that you would still need a brake to use it to make one 90 bend and hold the material while the brake buddy is used.
Even a piece of poop old style brake on Craigs List is going to around 6 to 8 hundred.
Guess you could rent a brake from HD.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: