Can't decide what to do with roof edge on mobile home

Old 12-15-13, 11:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Can't decide what to do with roof edge on mobile home

I tore off the old siding because it was leaking along the edge of the roof for a long time before I bought it and the wall had rotted. I replaced the studs and now I can't figure out what to do about the roof where it comes over the edge.
This is my first time posting,
I don't want to go back like it was with J channel etc. I think it's just a bad design. Was thinking about gutters and wrapping the metal roof edge over the gutter and screwing and sealing it or maybe flashing under the roof and build an over hang but I really don't like any of those ideas. I just don't want to end up with the same leaking problem again. Don't want water running down the side of the house either. I have siding, 4x8 sheets but need to figure out what to do about this before putting it on. (That's bubble wrap on there I'm putting the siding over it)
And money is to tight to do a roof over.
here are some pics, one what the factory roof looked like before and three showing where I am now.
ignore the dates in pics, my camera is off they were take today.

Attached Images     
Old 12-15-13, 12:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A roof over with an overhang is the best way to go! About the only thing you can do other than that is to install some flashing that will bring the rainwater out and over the siding so it doesn't have a chance to get behind the siding. Gutters will help but you still need flashing to extend the roof edge enough where water won't get behind the gutter.

Old 12-15-13, 01:44 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
make sure the seal holds

Thanks.
I was originally thinking that I would install a gutter so the roof metal would fold over into it then screw and seal it. But that means keeping an eye on it to make sure the seal holds and probably resealing it every now and then.
Now I'm thinking to get a good drop on the gutter I need to push flashing up under the roof as far as I can then let it come down a little ways in to the gutter. sit the gutter lower instead of up at the top. Either way it will require sealing the edge of the metal where it sits inside the gutter.
The next idea was to build an overhang about 12 inches out and push flashing undr the roof and over the overhang, but then I will have to run screws through the roof to secure it and then use sealer on it. still an ongoing process watching the seal.
Some day I hope I can move this home to another lot and put it on a permanent foundation. Then build a new roof. It should be able to support the extra weight then.
But for now I need to stop the water coming inside. I could just put the J channel back on and seal the roof but thought since it's torn apart I'd look at other options.
Thanks again for replying.

Last edited by kidmystery; 12-15-13 at 01:45 PM. Reason: grammer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: