Questions about using OSB Board for an out door shed?

Old 12-27-13, 04:38 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about using OSB Board for an out door shed?

I want to build a very small shed or box that my bike will fit in like 4 feet wide by 6 feet long and maybe 4 to 6 feet high this would be plenty and I need to do it as cheaply as possible. Yet I don't want it to fall apart or rot right away either My mountain bike has a motor kit on it, so the gas smells and keeping it in the apartment is not an option. I am in Northern Canada so it needs to with stand rain and snow along with the snow melt and I need it to be easy. I am a PC tech and small engine guy wood Not so much unless it's a small model so if anyone can help me with a plan or blueprint and a fairly cheap way to build it that would be awesome. If I use 3 sheets of 1/4 4x8 OSB board it would only cost me around $25.00 and then 2x4 at around 2.44 each not sure how many I need then screws or nails and then whatever I need to water proof it any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-13, 06:41 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Think you need to go back and do some more research.
OSB will just fall apart when it gets wet. It needs to be covered with siding.
1/4 would just fall apart the first time the wind blew, or someone did so much as lean on it.
Have you gotten permission from the owner to build anything?
May want to consider a simple Rubber Made Shed. That way you could take it with you when you move.

Storage Sheds | Deck Box | Outdoor Storage | Rubbermaid

Old 12-27-13, 07:31 PM
K
Yeah I wasn't sure if it would work or not this is why I am asking and yes I can build anything I want and I am not going anywhere anytime soon can you recommend a cheap alternative that would work with paint? I have looked at the prices of some of these sheds and they run easily in to the hundreds and even thousands. I need a simple box that the bike can stay in for the winter months it is all it will be used for and maybe a gas can. We are on disability I have to find a cheap way to do this.

Old 12-27-13, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 723 Posts
To tell you the truth, on your sort of budget I think I'd suggest you buy a nice heavy duty tarp with that money. If you have a chainsaw or can borrow one, cut yourself some firewood... (you've got trees in Canada, right?) stack up the firewood to make some walls and make a fort out of it. Cover the top with a few longer logs or branches and then cover the entire thing with your tarp.

Now THAT's cheap.

Old 12-27-13, 07:46 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google free shed plans, go to the library and see if they have a book on shed plans.
You can not just build this sitting on the ground and expect it to rot out.
Going to need at least 4 X 4 pressure treated skids to build a floor on.
Going to have to have a floor that's at least 3/4" thick if you do not want to fall through.
Pressure treated bottom plates.
2 X 4 wall studs.
You could use Smart Siding from Lowes, Or T-111 for siding.
A door, a roof. Fasteners ECT.
Easy to spend over $200.00 for even a simple shed.

Old 12-28-13, 04:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I've built several cheap sheds using OSB for the finish exterior walls. You need to oil prime the OSB and the apply a coat or two of house paint! As long as it's kept painted and doesn't absorb moisture from the bottom [if low to the ground, prime/paint the bottom edge before nailing it up] it will last a long time. Locally the big box stores sell 7/16" OSB fairly cheap, I wouldn't bother with 1/4"

Old 12-28-13, 06:32 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Door

What kind of door do you plan to use?

Old 12-31-13, 02:25 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
look on eBay for bike covers,,, just bought 1 for the k100rs - only $ 50

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: