Siding and Window Replacement

Old 02-14-14, 09:31 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding and Window Replacement

I am wanting to replace my own home siding with fiber cement (James Hardie). I currently have lap siding that will need to be removed. I also want to replace all windows and sliding glass doors. My girlfriend doesn't do a whole lot of this type of work but in terms of lending a helping hand she's just as strong and capable as any guy. It's probably a ~2000 square foot home. It's a simple split level with attached garage. I am good with tools and very detail oriented yet realize this is a rather big project.

If you were in my case would you (be able to) do it?

Any advice?

Old 02-14-14, 11:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
A lot depends on how much time you have to devote to the project. The only qualms I'd have about using a girlfriend or wife as a helper would be her reaction if I got upset/frustrated and yelled at her

Old 02-14-14, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Ha ha... true that!

You will need a lot of scaffolding and walk planks. That's probably the biggest thing that would hold a homeowner back from doing his own siding... the equipment it will take. Siding a whole house probably isn't something you would want to do off just a set of extension ladders.

But other than that, I'm sure you and the GF would be more than capable.

Old 02-14-14, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A few doors or windows each day is doable. Til you take the old out there's no prob. Unfortunately...to do it right...you need to do a whole side at a time. Tear off, remove windows/ doors, install windows/doors, re-side. Can you do that in a day? What if weather turns bad? You have the tarps needed? What about the tools for fiber cement?

Sounds like more than I'd want to take on even in my younger days.

Old 02-15-14, 05:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Sounds like more than I'd want to take on even in my younger days.
The $ saved on labor has always been a big motivating factor for me It does pay to be prepared so you don't get caught with your pants down

Old 02-15-14, 09:58 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Replacement windows are not subject to siding being on or off - so that is an option to break up the duties and stage the work. However, it would be a shame to not remove the windows completely as the siding would already be off. Doors do not need siding removed to replace.

Have the divorce papers ready, learning a new skill can be quite frustrating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: