Installing siding over concrete block?

Old 03-19-14, 06:45 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing siding over concrete block?

I have a block house and will be installing vinyl siding over the block. I have trimmed out the windows and capped with coil stock. The information that I have found states that I should use 1x3 furring (actually 3/4" thick). Foam insulation in between. The question I have is if the nails that I am told to use are 1" wouldn't it bottom out on the block before getting tight enough to siding? I know you float the nails but I think that's a little too much. Also do u use treated or non treated furring? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-19-14, 07:28 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you build out the window and door trim first before wrapping?
If not your already in trouble, they needed to be built out with 3/4" so the J moulding does not stick out beyond the trim and act like a funnel to get water in behind the siding.
Did you bend flanges on the outside edges in the coil stock to act as flashing to keep water and wind out where the J moulding is going to go?
How close is the siding going to be run to grade?
The reason I ask is if it's going to be close to grade now's the time to prevent future siding damage by using PVC lumber at the bottom of the wall so there's no way the weed whacker is going to punch holes in it.
Have you installed vented soffit and wrapped the fascia's? That needs to be done before the siding goes on so you can install the outside corners.
I use Advantech subfloor cut in strips for strapping, reasons being it's not going to split like 1 X 's will, not going to cup, far more water resistant, almost no difference in cost, not going to have buy a bunch of different width 1X's.
Your going to need 6" wide strips for the outside corners, depending on if you add the PVC at the bottom of the wall it could range from 8" to 4" if you just went with starter strip.
Also going to need at least 4" wide at the top of the wall.
Once the strapping and foams up I go over the whole wall with house wrap.
I only use 1-1/4 galvanized roof nails, easier on the fingers when nailing, and has never been an issue with hitting the block.
Posting a picture of the home would be a big help. No close ups needed.

Old 03-19-14, 08:00 AM
C
Thanks for the response its appreciated.
1. Yes, I had the windows professionally done. They built them out with 2x4 and capped with aluminum. They did flange them out about 1" maybe 1 1/2" for water deflection.

2. I have a basement with those block type windows to let light in. I plan on starting siding directly above window. Approximately 2' above grade.

3. Yes, the soffit and fascia are complete.

I am going to look into that subflooring. I have heard of people using that. What's the thickness of the subflooring. What do u use to attach it? I will post pictures after work. Thanks again

Old 03-19-14, 08:47 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's 3/4" thick, constriction adhesive and Tap-Con's worked best for me.
My Ram Set just blew the block or mortar out.
I predrilled clearance holes in the strapping so as the screws went in it did not push the strapping away from the wall.

Old 03-19-14, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 779 Votes on 718 Posts
I would never use 1" nails... my fingers are too fat. You might find this out the hard way. Plus hammering on your furring as you nail the siding on is a sure way to pop a few of the tapcons loose. I'd recommend you use a few dabs of construction adhesive behind your furring before you screw it on with the tapcons... and then use stainless steel truss head screws and an impact drill to attach the siding. If you use 1" nails that's fine. The CMU will prevent you from driving the nails too tight.

Old 03-20-14, 10:27 AM
C
I'm going to to look into the stainless screws. This seems to be a more secure method. As far as attaching the foam board to the house should I just use the adhesive they recommend or use tapcons as well?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: