Vinyl Siding - repair or replace?

Old 03-24-14, 07:35 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Siding - repair or replace?

I have a couple spots on my house where the vinyl siding pops loose when it gets windy. I get my ladder out, pop it back into place, and it pops back out the next time it is windy. A couple pieces have a crack or a hole in them. The rest of the siding, when it gets windy, I can hear it shifting but it doesn't pop loose. I did read in an older thread that silicone can help keep it from popping out but that doesn't help the cracked pieces and pieces with holes.

What are the odds of repairing this? Am I looking at a full replacement for the entire house? I can't imagine I'll be able to match the existing siding for the pieces with the holes in them (holes are about 3-4" long, 3" tall). I plan on selling the house later this year or next year and from my research, new siding for my size house will run $6700-$8000.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-14, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 621 Votes on 574 Posts
If you replace the trouble pieces get ready for the new to not match the old. If you siding has any color I can almost guarantee there has been some fading. Even white can show a difference in sheen and coloration.

If the siding keeps coming unsnapped I squirt adhesive into the trough of the upper piece to glue the two pieces together. I apply blobs of sealant about two feet apart or between the weep/drain holes. I've had the best luck using Duo-Sil which is a urethane acrylic caulk made by Siroflex. Unfortunately it can be difficult to find since I don't think the big box home centers carry it but they may have something similar that will work just as well.

Old 03-24-14, 05:45 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any time a piece pops loose you should probably peel back the one above it and check the nailing strip. Over time I am betting some nails have come out.