What to do about this problem?

Old 04-03-14, 04:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do about this problem?

Super hard rainstorm today. Proabably the heaviest rainfall for a short amount of time I've seen in years. Homes and roads were flooding. My siding started doing this. This is the front side of my house and this is NOW the ugliest portion of it. The rest of the house (backsides and sides) have other minor siding issues as well.

Question is:

What do I do or can I leave it alone?

Life expectancy if left as is?

Take into account I'd like to put on all new siding in 2-5 years.

*** Note: the photos are upside down once posted and I don't know why. What is photo'd is the fact that the sided has "fattened up" a little bit like it has absorbed a small amount of water.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
It's probably doing that anywhere water sucked into the back unpainted side of the siding. Don't think there is much you can do aside from letting it dry out. You could see if there are any splits in the paper layers of the siding in the areas where this happened, but there really is no solution other than replacement someday. That's one of the reasons that sort of siding has fallen out of favor. Paper + water do not mix.

Old 04-03-14, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
And I do hope your pictures are upside down Brant, looks like older Masonite, huh?

Old 04-03-14, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Yeah if there are no nails evident along the bottom edge I'm guessing it might be the kind of Masonite with the plastic alignment fin (behind) that's about 1" up from the bottom edge that helped to set the exposure as it was installed.

Old 04-03-14, 07:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are visible nails on the home's siding

Old 04-04-14, 05:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Kind of looks like masonite to me too You can hope and pray that it will lay down when it dries but I wouldn't bet money on it. Once masonite gets wet there isn't a whole lot you can do other than replace it or live with the damage. Masonite should always be primed with oil base with the bottom rows [and other selected areas] back primed. Any nail holes or depressions need to be filled. As long as it's painted in a manner that keeps moisture from getting to the masonite it will last a long time but many painters/builders will cheat and skip the oil primer