Fiber Cement over T1-11 & Window Advice

Old 04-21-14, 11:38 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiber Cement over T1-11 & Window Advice

Hi,

I have just purchased my first home and am looking forward to doing some exterior work on it during the spring/summer. The exterior is currently T1-11, and the paint is peeling, though, the wood seems to be in decent condition. I'm wanting to go with fiber cement siding, specifically Hardie Plank, but I have some questions I'd like answered before I get in too deep.

First, I've been told I should be able install Hardie Plank right over the existing T1-11. What considerations should I take? Longer nails? What else? What if the fiber cement extends the siding over the trim (corners, windows, etc)? Do I just re-trim with thicker pieces of wood, or is it recommended to tear down the t1-11 at that point?

House Wraps. I do not know what is currently under the T1-11 siding. Is it okay to install house wrap over the current siding? Should there be any concern based on what house wrap, if any, is already installed under the current siding?

I'd like to do the windows at the same time. The home is currently fitted with aluminum windows. If it is beneficial/required to use house wrap between the t1-11 and the hardie plank, how should I wrap the home? Clearly, I will not have the resources to replace every window in a day, so knocking out all the windows and wrapping like new construction isn't really an option. Also, how would I deal with house wrap around the trim?

Would it just be better to tear down down the house to the ply board (if there is any)?

Thanks in advanced

Old 04-22-14, 04:20 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Really would be best to post a picture so we can see what your seeing. We have no way to know what type trim you have now.
The right way would be to have the windows out, install the house wrap, install the window, seal the nailing fin with window and door tape, then the siding.
Yes you will need house wrap before the Hardee.
I'd avoid trying to use the Hardee trim. A royal pain to install, cut, transport without breaking.
Conceder using 5/4 PVC instead.
Go on line and down load the install directions for the siding.
Seal any cuts made to the siding or it will delaminate.
Consider buying a real pneumatic siding nailer and a set of gauges that set the exposure and make it so one person can install the siding if need be.
I've tried using roofing nailers, framing nailers and nothing beats my Bostitch siding nailer for the siding and the trim.

Old 04-22-14, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 782 Votes on 721 Posts
I'll try giving this a go. Pictures would help.

Longer nails?
Your nails should be long enough to penetrate into 1" of the studs, so just add up your thicknesses. 2" nails will usually be close to being correct. If your existing siding is 5/8 or 3/4 thick and you are leaving it on, you might want 2 1/4" nails.

What if the fiber cement extends the siding over the trim (corners, windows, etc)? Do I just re-trim with thicker pieces of wood, or is it recommended to tear down the t1-11 at that point?
Yes, you pretty much have it figured out. If it's more work to build everything out, then you often want to just tear off all the siding, in which case you will be replacing all the trim too, but with 5/4. 5/4 (five quarter) is best because it's a full inch thick and you will be able to caulk your siding edges to it without the siding sticking out past the trim like it often does when 3/4" thick trim is used.

House Wraps. I do not know what is currently under the T1-11 siding. Is it okay to install house wrap over the current siding? Should there be any concern based on what house wrap, if any, is already installed under the current siding?
Well, you will want to drill a hole through your sheathing with a spade bit or something to determine if it is the only sheathing on the house. If it is, it should probably STAY. Then you would apply new, thicker trim on top of the existing siding. Then as for the housewrap question, yes, you will want housewrap, and no, there is no concern about having multiple layers of housewrap. All housewraps are vapor permeable.

If it is beneficial/required to use house wrap between the t1-11 and the hardie plank, how should I wrap the home? Clearly, I will not have the resources to replace every window in a day, so knocking out all the windows and wrapping like new construction isn't really an option. Also, how would I deal with house wrap around the trim?
If rain is your main concern, and you are going over your existing siding then you will probably want to apply housewrap over the entire house. Remove your existing window trim first and then just cut out the housewrap around your existing windows. As you replace the windows one at a time, you will then use window flashing tape to seal the window nailing flange to the housewrap. If you are removing the existing siding, you might find that after you cut the new housewrap out around the existing windows that you will need to temporarily tape the housewrap to the old window just to keep it from leaking. As you replace windows one at a time, you will just open it up, replace the window, and use the flashing tape to seal the new window to the housewrap.

Would it just be better to tear down down the house to the ply board (if there is any)?
IMO, yes. Often the t1-11 siding will have been applied over the top of the window nailing flanges and you have to cut some of it back to get the new window in. Then after the window is in, you have to patch what you cut out so that you have a smooth surface again. Its often better to just tear it off. You may run into problems if there is anything permanent installed on top of your t1-11 siding... like aluminum soffit, for example... anything that would make the siding hard to remove. In cases like that there may be a few places where you just have to cut the existing siding off and leave it. Like behind a deck ledger, for example. Drilling a 1" hole about 5/8" deep will help you determine if there is plywood behind there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: