Tyvek Tape vs..... anything else?

Old 04-28-14, 06:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tyvek Tape vs..... anything else?

Does it really matter what kind of tape you tape the seams of Tyvek with? I've used the real Tyvek tape, clear shipping tape, duct tape. Does it really matter? Do we need to buy the $12.50 Tyvek stuff?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-14, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Well I definitely wouldn't use clear shipping tape or duct tape. The Tyvek brand tape is tested to stick to Tyvek and hold up over time for use as a WRB. I have torn off plenty of siding and found other types of tape peeled off behind the siding.

There are other off brands of WRB tape if you feel like saving $2 a roll. You only use Tyvek tape on the seams (Tyvek to Tyvek) so I can't see how you would need very much of it unless you're making a patchwork quilt out of it.

Old 04-29-14, 05:51 AM
S
But what do you mean "peel off"? There's cedar siding over it (in my case), holding everything down, so how could it peel off?

Old 04-29-14, 06:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The glue on the other tapes will eventually give way and will open up an infiltration point that Tyvek tape will not do. It is industry specified and a good product to use for the job.

Old 04-29-14, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
The stickiness of the tape deteriorates and "lets go" meaning it's no longer bonded to the tyvek. So air pressure (wind) and water (in the event of a leak) would be able to get right behind the tape. A lot of guys don't use tape, they just make sure their Tvyek is overlapped sufficiently so that they won't have any leaks. The primary leak points are around windows (use butyl window flashing tape) and at other tricky locations like where a gable wall meets a roof, or where a fascia meets a wall. In such locations it's often wise to use added measures to beef up the WRB, either metal flashings or butyl flashing tapes.

Old 04-29-14, 07:29 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You shouldn't count on the cedar siding holding the seams shut if the tape fails. Hopefully the siding isn't in direct contact with the Tyvek--wood siding needs to breathe so there should be an air space behind it. Unless the Tyvek in question is the crinkly kind where the texture is supposed to allow air movement.

Old 04-29-14, 08:59 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The Tyvek layer serves as the water barrier while being able to pass moisture (dry to the outside). It also serves as an added air barrier and air leakage is one of the top energy users in a home. Not a place to try and save a couple of bucks.

Bud

Old 04-29-14, 04:15 PM
S
OK so it's a tape-coming-loose-and-air-getting-in thing. Thanks for the answers.