Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Fill in a hole in wood 2.5" long x 2.25" wide x 2" deep

Old 05-07-14, 01:57 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need to fill an irregular shape hole cut in a very thick wooden plank. The dimensions are 2.5" long x 2.25" wide x 2" deep. As I said the hole is irregular shaped.

What compound should I use to totally fill this void?

Last edited by Elmo Few; 05-07-14 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The best way is to cut and glue a dutchman in from each side (due to the depth). Change the hole to fit the patch using a router and a template.

If thats too much, filling it a little at a time with a fiberglass reinforced body filler might work for cosmetics. Drive a few screws in around the inside of the hole to give it something to grab.

Neither of these give any real structural strength.

Old 05-07-14, 05:00 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What is the plank used for? What will the patch correct other than cosmetic? Are you looking for a finished surface? Interior or exterior? In other words, give us some more specifics as to what caused the hole and how the plank is used.

Old 05-07-14, 07:37 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
If you decide to use a fiberglass filler be sure to use one rated for wood repair and not auto-body filler. Since the material hardens by chemical action it is not necessary to make the repair in "lifts" but simply mix enough filler to completely fill the hole in one step.

Old 05-08-14, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
We really need to know the application for the plank before anyone can state with certainty the best method to make the repair .... I'm leaning toward wood replacement either all or in part.

Old 05-08-14, 04:41 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is a cosmetic repair on a wide thick plank used on section of a new abstract sculpture. This plank is well supported. The wood is old reclaimed oak. The wood will be sanded, primed then coated with oil based paint. Thanks.

Old 05-08-14, 05:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I don't know if the grain changes much when oak gets old but generally speaking oak doesn't paint well because of the open grain. I'd be concerned that the grain at the repair wouldn't match the grain of the rest of the wood. There are grain fillers that can be used to fill the grain. I've used joint compound with success on interior painted oak. Basically you smear a thin coat of j/c over the wood, let it dry and then sand it ALL off except what stays in the grain.

Old 05-08-14, 05:30 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I would go with a bondo type filler that is a resin and a hardener that when mixed and combined forms a rock hard, sandable patch that will blend well into the surroundings. Found in the Glue/tape section of the box stores. You may have to shellac it to fill in the grain, then oil based primer and paint.