Installing storm door in non standard opening

Old 06-02-14, 07:23 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing storm door in non standard opening

Because of drainage problems, we have had to raise the door sill on a side entrance door. This reduced the door height slightly. We would like to install a storm door. The dimensions inside the brick moulding are 36" x 79".

Most standard storm doors require a minimum opening of 79 3/4" or 80".

I can apparently order a special door, but it almost doubles the price.

One thought, was to cut 3/4" of the upper brick moulding away so as to provide the required height. Not sure how much overlap there is, but the brick moulding is 1 1/2". It butts up against the soffit.

Anyone think this would work or have another idea?

Old 06-02-14, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 773 Votes on 714 Posts
Depending on the type of door you select, you can sometimes cut the bottom of the door off to any height you need. As long as you don't get a full view door that has glass that goes all the way to the bottom, that is. I would cut 1 1/4" off to give your bottom sill expander some room for adjustment. You usually want to slather the bottom of the door with a permanent exterior sealant before you put the bottom sill expander back on.

Doing this will probably void any door warranty, but it's the price you pay for saving the $$$.

You obviously can't do this on aluminum doors that have mitered corners... that screw together at the corners... or on full view glass doors. The ones you can cut are mainly solid core doors or foam filled vinyl doors.

Old 06-02-14, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Cutting off the BM by an inch would probably be the area that is attached to the door frame. Not a good idea.

Old 06-02-14, 08:35 PM
L
The two other doors we have are aluminum. I must have a look and see if any of the stores carry wood core storm doors. I was going to cut down our main side door, but in the end, just got the sill high enough (for drainage slope) without having to. Hopefully I can find one that can be cut.

Old 06-02-14, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 773 Votes on 714 Posts
You can cut "some" aluminum doors... it just depends how they are put together. If there are any screws from the bottom into the sides, then no. If the screws go from the sides into the bottom... you have a chance, as long as that bottom screw is up high enough to not be in the part you're cutting off.

Old 06-02-14, 09:37 PM
L
In looking at drawings of Larsen doors, it looks like the sweep itself must be at least 1/4", perhaps more because of the slot to retain the sweeper. Same or more on some Aluminart. Perhaps I could leave the sweep off and have door butt up against a regular threshold seal? Then reduce top brick moulding from 1 1/2" to 3/4" (some say 3/4" is enough). That would give me an inch or so. Even if 1" is needed on top, I would have 79 3/4". And perhaps I could grind or cut a little off the header frame if need be.

This would save cutting the door.

Old 06-03-14, 07:01 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Certain models of Larson doors can be ordered in custom sizes to fit your opening. I have ordered and installed custom shorter doors in the past. I don't recall them being that much more expensive, but then again, I ordered it from a building supply store, not a big box store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: