Replacing glass panes in wood casement window

Old 06-06-14, 11:15 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing glass panes in wood casement window

Hi, I am replacing panes (20" x 14") in a wood casement window that is sheltered by my covered deck area. I have glass that is 5/64" -- is this glass too thin?

Also, the glass had been found in a shop with a delivery slip dated 1934. I suspect, but am not sure, that 80 year old glass is still usable. It may be picture glass, but as it is the correct size to fit the frame, I thought I'd ask.

[If this is not the correct forum to ask this question, please direct me to the correct forum.]

Thank you,
Cathie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-14, 05:24 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
Apparently this glass is too thin for glazing use. (0.078") Minimum is .09"

I look and did quick view at this site.

glass

You might read it more carefully for details.

Old 06-07-14, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Unless they made glass thinner back then that they do now, you probably have single strength glass, which is 3/32" thick. (how did you determine that it's 5/64? the delivery slip? a micrometer?) If it's single strength, it is okay to use, but double strength is always better.

Old 06-07-14, 01:36 PM
C
Hi Norm,
Thanks for the link. Yes, it does look like .09 is the minimum.

I had found a glass company on Long Island, NY (I am in New York City) that sells 1/16" . . . but I also found a caution on another website that said that some glass is sold that does not meet code. Buyer assumes risk. Glass is inexpensive, but I had wanted to recycle this (what I assume is) plate glass.

Love your avatar -- where did you get it?

Cathie

Old 06-07-14, 02:07 PM
C
Hi Xsleeper,
Measured by micrometer. But I hadn't been maintaining it properly, it wasn't freely moving and I didn't get it down to a true reading. Redone, it's 0.075 thickness. I suspect it is plate not float, it was delivered from a shop with an 'arty' name. I had wanted to recycle it . . . don't like to waste things.

I have NYC building code regs which has graphs for load x size x thickness, rather than specifying minimums. The graphs start at 3/32 . . . 0.09 . . . so that does seem to be NYC's minimum.

For the work involved, I agree that double strength is probably the best bet. We have amazing gusts and pressure differentials here.

Thanks,
Cathie

Old 06-07-14, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Yeah, the thinner glass is suitable for picture frames and such, but that's about it.

Old 06-07-14, 05:30 PM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
I'm the window and screen repair guy at the local Home Improvement Store. We recently had our window repair program modified to warn us that if a patio or storm door is getting new glass that we should not do it because we only sell ordinary window glass. The law now requires plate glass indoors. The kicker is that we can override it and still sell 1/16 window glass in doors. I told the district manger that I will not do it even if the customer OK's it. I feel the store (and maybe me) could still be held liable in case of injury. Surprisingly he agreed with me and sent a memo to all stores not to over ride the caution. Score one for me.

Cathie,
All the avatars are available on the site under your profile.

Old 06-07-14, 06:59 PM
C
Glad I asked if this glass is unsuitable. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if one of the neighborhood art framers would like some free vintage glass.

Yes on workers' need for caution. I've been told to do things that have potential harm, and refused for ethics and liability. I wish my bosses had been as appreciated the enlightenment as your's was. I work in public health where they should know better. You won one for public health also. I've seen some bad lacerations . . .