Jamb Casing with groove for screen

Old 06-24-14, 11:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jamb Casing with groove for screen

Hello,

On some of my windows the vertical jamb casing is damaged/rotted where it meets the window sill. I want to replace these. The problem is they have a groove on the inner edge running the whole length of the board. These grooves are for the spring plungers that holds the window screen in place.

Is there any place that sells these trim boards (wood or PVC) with these grooves already cut? If not how would I make them? I don't have any specialized tools beyond a circular saw.

The boards are perhaps 3-4 inches wide.

Thanks,
John

Old 06-27-14, 02:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
update

Well I have had no luck buying these trim boards with a built-in groove.

If I want to match the original I will need to get a core box router bit.
Obviously I will need a router as well and most likely a router table, since I need to make the groove along the thin edge of the board. Probably $200 to make a single groove. Oh well.

Any alternatives, I wonder?

Attached Images  
Old 06-27-14, 02:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
When I first read this thread a few days ago I was thinking a table saw but that wouldn't give a rounded groove. I'd look at this as an excuse to buy tools I don't have a router table but I've done well by clamping the router to a table and clamping a fence to control the piece of wood. I suppose you could get a rounded chisel and cut the groove by hand.

Old 06-27-14, 03:41 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the groove is cut with a radius bottom like you are indicating with the router bit picture then perhaps if you ask at a full service lumberyard for the name of a customer who does custom trim work that may be of help.

Old 06-27-14, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why not just put the screen in place, tap on the pins to mark the wood, then drill a shallow hole? The only reason they are grooved full length is because the same material is used for different sized windows.

I had to do this when I bought off the shelf screens that had plungers in different places than the originals.

Careful on the tapping, you can break off the typical plastic caps they put on them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: