Stain has Pilled on Pine Wood Wall

Old 06-24-14, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain has Pilled on Pine Wood Wall

I have a pine front on my house. I put Behr Rawhide on it years and years ago and in some places it has pilled on the pine. It is just in some places by my front door. Not sure if 'pilled' is the right word. The morning sun (east) hits this side of house. I tried an electric sander but afraid to take it beyond the high marks on the pine down to the bare wood. See pics. Is this what I will need to do to get rid of the Rawhide marks? Will it look the same on all parts of the wood or will I need to strip the whole wall? I have some shadows on the pine too from trinkets and pretties I have hung up. Will the sanding take the shadows off the pine? Other parts of wall are fine and just needs a good cleaning and staining. They don't make Rawhide anymore and thinking of using a 'Log Gloss' on it when I get the marks off there. What would be the best product to put back on it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Behr Rawhide, what type of coating is it? How much exposure to weather does the siding get? Is sanding the surface effective? or does it need to go all the way down to raw wood to make it look right? Is it strictly visual or can you feel the difference when you drag your fingers across it?

UV rays cause pine to change color. Items hung on the wall block the UV rays and cause the color differences. Usually if the item is removed, nature will even the colors out but it may take a year or more. Sanding down to fresh wood is the other fix.

Old 06-11-15, 06:21 PM
Wow! I never got an acknowledgment email reply on this in my mailbox?? It is turned on. Some how I am not getting reply's back from DIY when I post a question....? This is a whole year ago and first time I have seen marksr's response! Haven't done anything with this wood as yet and think I may pull the pine off (front door alcove where trouble is) and replace with cedar slats. Still pondering....

This Behr 'Rawhide' use to be the log gloss that everyone used in the Pacific Northwest many years ago. It had the consistency of 'dipping something in plastic'. Real shiny and a thick coating of this rawhide lasted years. They don't make it anymore. Only place on my house where it has pilled; balled up on the east side with morning sun. Tried my belt sander and when the sandpaper meets up with the balled-up Rawhide(like glue almost), it leaves the black of the sandpaper behind on the wall. Haven't been able to strip it off. Thanks for your answer!

Old 06-11-15, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 219 Votes on 203 Posts
It needs to be chemically stripped.

Old 06-12-15, 03:16 PM
Thank you. What is the best chemical stripper out there?

Old 06-12-15, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
That is a bit of a trick question, the best stripper for one coating may not be the best for another. I don't use strippers often so when I need some I generally ask the rep at the paint store what he would recommend for the job at hand.

Old 06-12-15, 07:21 PM
Thank you for all you, good people, do here! I will ask the paint store man! I believe I have a Sherwin-Williams store close by. :-)