Paint Wood Siding

Old 07-23-14, 08:04 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Paint Wood Siding

We just bought our first home.

It has wood shingle siding. The sidings are in good condition but the paint has faded ... not peeling but may be a few blisters. I am planning to replace the siding with maintenance free Vinyl siding but that would take at least an year or two because of finances.

Meanwhile I need to paint the siding to improve its appearance.

Question -- If I do not do any prep work -- no scraping, no sanding , just wash with water, dry and apply one or two coats of paint (same color) will the paint hold for 1 - 2 years ?
Also, can I just paint using roller instead of brush (spray might be difficult for me) ?

Want to do something quick and dirty before the winter so that the house looks bright .

Old 07-24-14, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Any raw or stained siding should be primed, then painted .... after cleaning it first

I clean shingle siding about the same way I do decks; wet the siding with water, spray on a bleach/water solution with a pump up garden sprayer [add TSP if it's extra dirty] let it set but not dry and then rinse well.

Any peeling paint needs to be scraped and raw wood primed. Use a 1" minimum [1.5" max] roller cover to apply the paint. You'll get a lot of runs with the initial application but let it set up a little and reroll it to get rid of the runs. It's always best to let the roller cover do the lion's share of the work, keep it well lubricated and apply plenty of paint - then go back and dress it up.

Old 07-24-14, 01:31 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Only place I would use a 1" nap roller cover is on a textured surface or something like brick or block.
Use a 1/2 nap and have far fewer runs.
Blistering is a sure sign of moisture pushing the paint off the wall.

Old 07-24-14, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO shingle siding is a textured surface - it sure isn't slick
If you were to use a 1/2" nap on shingle siding you'd wind up doing a lot of brush work The trick is to cover the entire surface and then go back as the paint is starting to set up and reroll with a fairly dry roller. That removes the runs and any other areas where the paint is too thick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: