How Do I Use Vinyl Siding Around this Electric Meter?

Old 07-26-14, 03:04 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Do I Use Vinyl Siding Around this Electric Meter?

Hi. I am installing vinyl siding on the side of my house. As you can see in the photos, a meter for the electric is attached to the wall that I want to place the vinyl siding on.

Do I put J channel around the meter and install the siding around the perimeter f the meter? If not, and I am supposed to install the vinyl siding under the meter, how do I do this? I do not see any visible screws on the meter. There appears to be a tamper evident key in the meter box. Do I need to contact the electric company? Do I need an electrician? Is the meter adhered by screws from the other of the wall? Will the conduit tubing be easy to remove and replace?

Do you have any other suggestions or tips? Thanks.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-14, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 573 Votes on 526 Posts
The problem isn't the meter, since you usually j-channel around it and side around it... not behind it.

The problem is the conduit and the head of the mast, because you do want the siding to go behind it, if you can. How much room is there between the back side of the conduit and the existing siding, where the conduit comes out of the meter box?

You could have an electrician come and look at it, but they usually will not loosen the box from the wall, and under no circumstances should you cut the tag or open it yourself. The box will not move out any farther because of the length of the conduit that is behind it.

Old 07-26-14, 04:04 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi XSleeper. Thank you for the good advice.